Are you interested in joining our team as the Banking Director of the Financial Institutions Division? We encourage you to apply today!
The State of Connecticut
, Department of Banking (Department
) is hiring! We are seeking a qualified individual for the position of Banking Director of Financial Institutions Division
. This position will be responsible for administering the programs, activities, and operations of the Financial Institutions Division
under the guidance and supervision of the Commissioner of Banking.
The Department is the primary state regulator for state-chartered banks and credit unions, securities, and consumer credit. Its mission is to protect users of financial services from unlawful or improper practices by ensuring regulated entities and individuals adhere to state banking, consumer credit and securities laws. The Department accomplishes this through regular, thorough, and cost-effective examinations of the entities it supervises. The Department also engages the public and other stakeholders through a variety of media platforms, educational outreach initiatives, and press communications.
This position is located at 260 Constitution Plaza, Hartford, CT. The work schedule for this position is Monday - Friday, 40 hours per week.
The following is a list of some (but not limited to) example duties the successful candidates may be required to perform:
What we can offer you
Plan and coordinate the management of staff, operations, and activities of the Financial Institutions Division to ensure the safety and soundness of regulated entities;
Direct the examination, monitoring, and investigation of international and domestic banks, trust companies, credit unions, and other regulated entities;
Formulate division goals, objectives, policies and procedures;
Design and develop division programs and activities;
Determine appropriate staffing levels;
Prepare division budget;
With the assistance of legal staff, interpret and administer statutes and regulations;
Recommend revisions to legislation and provide technical expertise in its drafting;
Oversee the hiring, training, promotion, evaluation, and discipline of staff;
Coordinate examination program with federal regulators;
Closely monitor examinations and investigations of a high degree of sensitivity or impact;
Direct investigations of applications for new charters, mergers, charter conversions, branches, etc.;
Maintain contacts with individuals within and outside the division who impact Division activities;
Monitor the operations of institutions experiencing financial difficulty;
Direct special investigations and coordinates with other regulatory agencies as needed;
Review reports to identify performance and trends of regulated institutions;
Conduct termination and liquidation meetings;
Advise the Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner on policy issues relating to assigned areas;
Represent the Department as needed at seminars, conferences, and industry and national group events
Perform related duties as required
The State of Connecticut offers a competitive starting salary, excellent state benefits
package including health/dental insurance, generous paid time off, retirement plan options, alternate work schedules, and a culture that encourages work-life balance
Important Information After You Apply:
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Connect With Us:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Banking, Financial Institutions Division this class is accountable for administering the programs and operations of the division.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Administers staff and operations of the division;
- Coordinates, plans and manages division activities to ensure safety and soundness of regulated entities;
- Formulates division goals, objectives, policies and procedures;
- Designs and develops division programs and activities;
- Interprets and administers statutes and regulations;
- Determines appropriate staffing levels;
- Prepares division budget;
- Maintains contacts with individuals within and outside of division who impact on division activities;
- Directs examination, monitoring and investigation of international and domestic banks, trust companies, credit unions and other regulated entities;
- Recommends revisions to legislation and provides technical expertise in its drafting;
- Oversees hiring, training, promotion, evaluation and discipline of staff;
- Coordinates examination program with federal regulators;
- Closely monitors examinations and investigations of a high degree of sensitivity or impact;
- Directs investigations of applications for new charters, mergers, charter conversions, branches, etc.;
- Monitors operations of institutions experiencing financial difficulty;
- Directs special investigations and coordinates with other regulatory agencies as needed;
- Reviews reports to identify performance and trends of regulated institutions;
- Conducts termination and liquidation meetings;
- Advises the Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner on policy issues relating to assigned areas;
- Leads the recruitment and hiring of staff, including outreach, interview and selection;
- Performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- Considerable knowledge of
- and ability to apply management principles and practices;
- relevant state and federal laws, statutes and regulations;
- business practices including accounting and auditing of international and domestic banks, trust companies, credit unions and other regulated entities;
- staff training and education methods and techniques;
- procedures and techniques in examining and regulating financial institutions;
- interpersonal skills;
- oral and written communication skills;
- Considerable ability to evaluate and interpret financial institution trends, policies and financial statements
- Ability to direct investigations.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Ten (10) years of professional experience in the management or regulation of international or domestic banks, credit unions and/or trust companies.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been in a managerial capacity over a professional staff. For State Employees, this will be interpreted to be at or above the level of Banking Department Manager.
NOTE: For state employees this experience is interpreted at the level of a Banking Department Manager.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
- College training in accounting, finance or a closely related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (½) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
- A Master's degree in accounting, business, finance or a closely related field may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Experience managing, supervising, or leading staff, including setting job expectations and performance management.
- Experience with succession planning, including staff development, coaching, and cross training.
- Experience with organizational development, change management and strategic planning, including ability to achieve organizational efficiencies.
- Experience collaborating with all levels of the organization and external industry stakeholders.
- Experience with accounting and financial management.
- Experience analyzing and interpreting complex financial data.
- Experience with the organization and operations of Financial Institutions regulated by the Department of Banking.
- Experience with Bank and Credit Union applicable laws and regulations enforced by the Department of Banking.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
As defined by Sec. 5-196 of the Connecticut General Statutes, a job class is a position or group of positions that share general characteristics and are categorized under a single title for administrative purposes. As such, a job class is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task and/or responsibility.