The State of Connecticut, Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS) is a health care agency whose mission is to promote the overall health and wellness of persons with behavioral health needs through an integrated network of holistic, comprehensive, effective, and efficient services and supports that foster dignity, respect, and self-sufficiency in those we serve.
Are you looking for a role that can make daily impact on the lives of others? If so, we have an excellent opportunity for you to join our hospital’s team!
We, at DMHAS's Whiting Forensic Hospital, are seeking an experienced and qualified individual to join us as a Nurse Clinical Instructor (PCN 119447) within our Staff Development team. This position is a full time, forty (40) hour per week, first shift role. The work schedule will be from 10:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Please note, the schedule may need to be flexed, due to hospital training needs.
DISCOVER THE OPPORTUNITY TO:
- Plan, develop, execute, and evaluate professional development seminars, workshops, curricula, and other instructional activities to professional and paraprofessional staff members
- Provide support to a hospital that is passionate about improving the lives of those we serve
- Work together in a collaborative team-based environment
Our hospital is easily accessible, right off of Route 9, located at 70 O'Brien Drive, in Middletown. Whiting Forensic Hospital specializes in providing inpatient services to individuals involved in the criminal justice system. The hospital consists of 91 maximum security beds and 138 enhanced security beds. Services are provided to individuals who are admitted under the following categories: Psychiatric Security Review Board commitment, Criminal court order for restoration of competency to stand trial, Civil commitment (voluntary or involuntary) and Transfer from the Department of Correction (during period of incarceration or at end of sentence). Discharge options are dependent on legal status and the purpose of admission.
WHAT WE HAVE TO OFFER!
- Industry leading health benefits, including medical and dental coverage
- Comprehensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings
- Retirement healthcare offerings
- Professional growth and development opportunities
- Outstanding work-life balance
You can find more information on our comprehensive benefits here!
This position may be subject to Federal requirements for COVID-19 Vaccination Immunization.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- You must specify your qualifications on your application. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
- Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Joseph K. Fried at Joseph.Fried@ct.gov, 860-924-7053.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state health care facility or institution this class is accountable for developing curricula and teaching the principles and practices of nursing and health related subjects to nursing personnel and interdisciplinary staff.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
In collaboration with interdisciplinary staff members participates in assessment of educational needs and requirements of staff and patients and/or clients by determining areas of deficiencies and considering government regulations; participates in development of curricula; conducts research to obtain most recent information about identified topic; delivers curricula to targeted groups including instruction in theory and provision of clinical experience; evaluates effectiveness of curricula through analyses of class participation, feedback and written tests; participates in workshops designed for career advancement of nursing staff; instructs staff of all levels in orientation and other programs; supervises learning experiences of staff in programs; acts as a role model to nursing and health care staff by demonstrating and teaching professional behaviors; participates in approved continuing education programs to enhance professional competence and shares this information with other staff members; prepares and submits reports as required; maintains records of those persons participating in educational programs; protects human and civil rights of patients and/or clients and staff; may participate on committees and in recruitment process; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of principles and practices of nursing in appropriate specialty serviced by agency; knowledge of teaching, counseling and evaluation principles and techniques; considerable interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to develop curricula; ability to interview; ability to identify the potential of applicants for health careers.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Three (3) years' experience in hospital or institutional nursing as a registered professional nurse in the appropriate specialty serviced by the agency.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been at the level of Head Nurse working with the type of patients and/or clients serviced by the agency.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. A Bachelor's degree in nursing may be substituted for one (1) year of the General Experience.
2. A Master's degree in nursing may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Experience providing Behavioral Health instructional training in a class room setting with multiple participants
- Experience creating lesson plans for Professional, paraprofessional employees in a health care setting
- Experience evaluating and identifying potential gaps in training deliverables
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and retain a license as a registered professional nurse in Connecticut.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.