The State of Connecticut, Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS) is a health care agency whose mission is to promote the overall health and wellness of persons with behavioral health needs through an integrated network of holistic, comprehensive, effective, and efficient services and supports that foster dignity, respect, and self-sufficiency in those we serve.
Do you want to make a difference while participating in a dynamic and reciprocal health care environment in the public sector? If so, we have an excellent opportunity for you to join our hospital’s team!
We, at Connecticut Valley Hospital (CVH), are seeking a qualified and experienced individual for the position of Dental Hygienist 2 (PCN 24941) within our Ambulatory Care Services. This position is located at 1000 Silver Street in Middletown. This role is full-time, 40 hours weekly with a work schedule of Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL DISCOVER THE OPPORTUNITY TO:
- Be a part of a comprehensive team of caring professionals
- Provide support to hospital that is passionate about improving the lives of those we serve
- Assist our clients and employees so they can achieve success
- Make a difference in the public sector
- Work together in a collaborative team environment
Connecticut Valley Hospital is located centrally at 1000 Silver Street in Middletown. Our hospital boasts a rich history first opening its doors over 150 years ago in 1868. As the State’s public hospital we provide treatment of mental illness and currently comprised of 18 inpatient units over two campuses (Middletown and Hartford). In our operational framework, recovery is defined as a process of restoring or developing a positive and meaningful sense of identity apart from one’s condition and then rebuilding one’s life in the fullest sense. Recovery is an individualized patient-centered approach. Achieving and maintaining an optimal state of health and wellness is integrated in our recovery approach. Individuals acquire and practice life skills that will assist them in their recovery process.
This position may be subject to Federal requirements for COVID-19 Vaccination Immunization.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- You must specify your qualifications on your application. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
- Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Joseph K. Fried at Joseph.Fried@ct.gov, 860-924-7053.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In state facilities this class is accountable for providing clinical dental hygiene services, including dental health assessments of individuals, training of individuals and staff in the implementation of dental health care plans, and providing consultation.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs clinical dental services including dental prophylaxis, facial and oral tissue exams, oral cancer exams, topical fluoride treatments, blood pressure evaluations, taking and processing radiographs, charting abnormalities, screening individuals for systemic diseases which may appear in the oral cavity; conducts dental health assessments; develops and implements dental hygiene care plans; provides admission and discharge dental hygiene assessments including plans for continuing care; does nutritional counseling; reviews diets and nutritional needs of individuals; provides functional supervision of staff members involved in dental care of individuals, which includes creation of an awareness among staff of signs and symptoms of dental diseases and procedures for prevention of same, showing ward staff how to maintain oral health of individuals who cannot care for themselves, and providing centralized inservice dental education and training to individuals and staff; implements dental care programs, and sets goals to meet needs of each individual; consults with and makes recommendations to dentist concerning dental health needs; investigates problems arising from dental care programs as relayed by staff or departments; maintains dental records and recall system to assure individuals treated regularly; assures dental care services comply with ICF regulations; provides dental hygiene input into interdisciplinary health care plans and individual programs; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of principles and practices of dental hygiene, dental hygiene administration and dynamics of behavior, particularly the behavior of difficult and multi-handicapped individuals; considerable interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience as a dental hygienist in a state facility or in practice with difficult or multi-handicapped individuals.
- Possess certification in local anesthesia
- Experience with Electronic Health Record
- Experience in digital X-Rays
- Experience in Patient Education
- Experience in the sterilization process
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and retain a license as a Registered Dental Hygienist in Connecticut.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift and restrain individuals and may be exposed to disagreeable conditions, communicable diseases and risk of injury from assaultive and/or abusive individuals.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.