The State of Connecticut, The Connecticut Technical Education and Career System (CTECS) invites applicants to apply for a second shift custodian position at Harvard H. Ellis Technical High School in Danielson, CT. The Connecticut Technical High Schools serve approximately 11,200 full-time high school students.
In a high school environment, the incumbents will be responsible for performing a full range of school custodial duties.
37.5 hours per week, Monday - Friday from 2:00 PM - 10:00 PM.
- New State Employees Start at the Minimum Salary Range.
- The entry level rate for this class will be ten (10%) percent below Step 1 of the salary grade. Upon completion of the initial working test period the incumbent’s salary will be adjusted to the TC or FM pay plan, Step 1 of the salary grade for this class.
We offer competitive benefits including health and dental insurance, a retirement plan, group life insurance, and other supplemental benefits. Paid time off is also offered, including 12 paid holidays per calendar year, in addition to vacation, sick and personal leave accruals. We encourage a healthy work/life balance to all employees.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the minimum qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date, unless otherwise specified.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- At any time during the recruitment process you may be asked to submit additional information.
- Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Connect With Us:
- If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Anamaria Giangarra at Anamaria.email@example.com and reference the recruitment number.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for performing a full range of basic tasks in the cleaning and maintenance of buildings.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs custodial tasks and maintenance of areas such as dormitories, classrooms, offices, auditoriums, wards, kitchens, dining rooms and lavatories including outdoor areas (i.e. trash around buildings); dusts, mops, sweeps, scrubs, strips, waxes and polishes floors using appropriate equipment such as floor polishers and buffers; washes, dusts and polishes glass including windows, woodwork, walls, furniture and metal equipment; makes beds; checks, marks, stores and issues linens, blankets, and clothing (limited to individual’s work area not to include counting and inspection for a larger area); collects and counts soiled laundry; distributes, empties and sterilizes glassware, wash basins and bedpans; sweeps walks; collects and disposes of trash; reports needs for repairs; performs minor maintenance; runs errands; inspects buildings for damage and reports conditions to supervisor; may change light bulbs and replace fuses; may lubricate or tighten door hinges, drawers, cabinets, etc.; may replace ceiling or floor tiles; may remove snow and ice from stairways and walkways around buildings; may sand and salt stairways and walkways; may move furniture and/or set-up classrooms; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; ability to follow oral and written instructions; ability to operate, care for and perform minor maintenance on tools and equipment used in daily work; some ability in simple record keeping.
Any experience and training which would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
- Experience performing custodial work in a school or commercial setting.
- Experience waxing and polishing floors using floor polishers and buffers.
- Experience moving furniture in a school and setting up classrooms or experience moving furniture and setting up venues in a commercial setting.
- Experience removing snow and ice from stairways and walkways around school buildings or other commercial settings.
- Experience performing minor maintenance on tools and equipment used in daily work.
- Experience with deep cleaning and disinfecting large facilities.
Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits, and/or certifications.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties of the class.
2. A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights and may be exposed to risk of injury from equipment and/or individuals.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.