Are you looking for a summer opportunity to learn new skills and grow your professional network?
If so, apply today & join our great team at the DMV!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), is now accepting applications for multiple, full-time, 1st shift, seasonal, Summer Worker opportunities located in various branch locations such as, Bridgeport, Cheshire, Danbury, Enfield, Hamden, New Britain, Norwalk, Norwich, Old Saybrook, Waterbury, Wethersfield, and Willimantic (Windham), CT. Schedules will vary based on location, some branches operate Monday - Friday and others Tuesday – Saturday. It is the DMV’s mission to promote and advance public safety, security, and service through the regulation of drivers, their motor vehicles, and vehicle-related businesses.
The Role: Summer Workers assigned to Branch locations within the DMV will be assigned to assist and provide information to customers, operate phot licensing equipment and computer systems, clean work areas, perform courier duties and basic office support. DMV Operating Divisions are as follows:
Legal Services/Administrative Hearings:
- Answer phones
- Assist with responding to requests from state agencies
- Type, file and perform general office support for staff
- Assist with vehicle business registration and copy records
- Assist with vehicle registration tasks from incoming mail including but not limited to insurance documents, refunds, mailing registration renewal applications, scanning titles and data entry
Commercial Vehicle Safety Division:
- Process transactions
- Enter written inspection reports into database
- Answer phones, file, type, and assist with federal grant paperwork
- Assist with general editing of website and numerous public outreach tasks.
- Help direct inquiries from public and media
- Gather and compile information related to requests from the media and public.
- File applications, copy incoming mail, and answer phones.
Facilities Maintenance/Mail Room:
- Landscape, assist with general maintenance projects, and clean facilities.
- Pick up and process mail from various locations.
- Assist with courier duties.
Application Instructions: Please select all the location(s) you’re willing to work on your application, failure to do so may result in not being considered.
*This salary range shall increase effective July 1, 2022.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board daily to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders daily in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- If have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact email@example.com.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In various agencies as a summer employee performs one or more tasks and assigned duties of a seasonal nature in providing a variety of services to clients or the public in one of several areas. This class may also be used during the winter college intersession for a period not to exceed six weeks.
Work areas covered by this class shall include the assignments and hourly rates as listed below:
|Patient Care Services
|Transportation Services (Bus Driver)
|Tourist Information Clerk
|Specialized Recreational Services
|Tourist Information Coordinator
|Information Technology System Analysis
Minimum and maximum hourly rates will be subject to the following criteria:
1. Returning Summer Workers may receive $.50 an hour additional compensation for each season of service up to the maximum hourly rate.
2. Experienced workers in the specific functional area with another employer may be credited with such time on an equivalent basis to seasons worked and granted the same additional compensation up to the maximum hourly rate.
3. College students may be granted additional compensation of up to $.50 more per hour (up to the maximum hourly rate) for each full year of completed education on the basis of 30 semester hours equaling one (1) year.
Determination of hourly rate is based on the above criteria. Additional compensation is based on only one criteria. It is not intended for individuals to receive additional compensation through application of the multiple criteria listed above.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
1. EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
GENERAL: Performs clerical tasks such as filing, typing, copying, recording information, answering telephone, reception duties, computing, office machine operation, routine library tasks, inventory, stockroom, mail processing, cashiering, etc.; makes change; rings up fees; balances receipts; performs related duties as required.
2. PATIENT CARE SERVICES: Under supervision incumbents are assigned to cottages, buildings, living areas, classrooms and provide assistance to clients in activities of daily living; participates in preparation, serving and feeding of clients; performs housekeeping duties; aids clients in personal activities such as dressing, bathing, etc.; participates in client social and recreational activities; performs related duties as required.
3. MAINTENANCE: Performs maintenance tasks in areas such as road building and equipment, grounds care, custodial and/or housekeeping and food services, traffic counting; may operate a motor vehicle; performs related duties as required.
4. LABORATORY ASSISTANT: Performs routine laboratory duties; prepares simple solutions, culture media and reagents, etc; makes simple stains, solutions; cleans and sterilizes equipment, etc,; performs related duties as required.
5. RECREATIONAL AIDE: Conducts recreational activities for patients, clients, residents in areas such as field trips, sports and social activities; cleans area and maintains equipment; assists in ensuring safety of clients, patients and residents; performs related duties as required.
6. TRANSPORTATION SERVICES (BUS DRIVER): Incumbents in this class required to drive a large school bus the majority of their time shall be assigned to this service and functional title. Incumbents will drive a large bus on a regular basis and may operate other motor vehicles as necessary; performs related duties as required. Incumbents driving school buses shall maintain a good driving record.
7. TOURIST INFORMATION CLERK: Assists tourists by providing information on highway directions, tourist and camping facilities, points of interest and events in state; performs related duties as required.
8. INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SYSTEM ANALYSIS: Performs basic information technology support functions under supervision; provides basic help desk support to end users; refers more complex problems to higher level information systems staff; provides basic support to users in the use of software applications; provides assistance in installation and configuration of local and network printers, scanners and other peripherals; performs related duties as required.
9. SPECIALIZED RECREATION SERVICES (SPECIALIZED RECREATION SUPERVISOR): Serves as a Community or Resident Specialist and provides a variety of specialized recreation services; plans and implements leisure activities; oversees summer workers and volunteers in a variety of leisure time activities; responsible for maintenance and care of equipment, supplies and facilities; transports clients; performs related duties as required.
10. TOURIST INFORMATION COORDINATOR: Plans work schedules of informational display exhibits; maintains liaison between Tourist Information Clerks in the field; prepares reports on distribution of printed materials; supervises a group of seasonal employees; performs related duties as required.
11. PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER: Performs basic engineering tasks under supervision; reviews basic design plans; performs mathematical computations and calculations; uses CADD system and other computer applications; collects and enters data; accompanies accompanies engineers on field reviews; assists with preparation of reports; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of principles, practices and procedures of assigned specialty; knowledge in operation of equipment, materials and activities of assigned specialty; knowledge to degree necessary for dealing with and understanding client behavior; interpersonal skills; skill in techniques of assigned specialty; ability to assist clients in self-care habits, personal hygiene and proper social conduct where applicable; ability to understand and carry out written orders and oral instructions; adequate physical strength and stamina to perform duties; some positions may require supervisory and/or leadership abilities.
Any experience and training that could reasonably be expected to provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
- Experience or coursework with general business principles, practices, and procedures.
- Experience or coursework utilizing computer programs, MS Office.
- Experience utilizing interpersonal skills.
- Experience adhering to social conduct policies and procedures.
- Experience carrying out written orders and oral instructions.
1. Incumbents in this class assigned to recreational activities must be able to perform emergency first aid as needed and certain positions will require a current Standard First Aid Certificate.
2. Incumbents in this class assigned as bus drivers or operate a motor vehicle must possess and retain a current Connecticut Motor Vehicle Operator License to drive a bus and/or a Motor Vehicle Operators License as necessary.
3. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.