Are you a current State of Connecticut employee looking to advance your career? If so, we encourage you to apply today!
Our mission at the State of Connecticut
, Department of Housing (DOH
) is to strengthen and revitalize communities by promoting affordable housing opportunities. DOH seeks to eliminate homelessness and to catalyze the creation and preservation of quality, affordable housing to meet the needs of all individuals and families statewide to ensure that Connecticut continues to be a great place to live and work.
We are currently seeking an Accountant
. This position will be within the Individual and Family Support Division Fiscal Services Unit. You will be responsible for managing the State's Security Deposit Guarantee Program and other accounting activities like contract payments and contract management.
Monday – Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm. Please know that 8:00am – 4:30pm is the default schedule with flexibility with the in-office days and telework days based on union requirements around alternate work schedule.
As a state employee, you would continue to be able to participate in our competitive benefits
plan which includes health and dental insurance, a retirement plan, group life insurance, and other supplemental benefits. Paid time off is also offered, including 12 paid holidays per calendar year, in addition to vacation, sick and personal leave accruals.
*This salary range may increase effective July 1, 2022.
Important Information After You Apply:
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee, who has worked for the state for at least six (6) months of full-time service or full-time equivalent service, absent any applicable collective bargaining language, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Connect With Us:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Jennifer Neumann via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of tasks in professional accounting.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Records complex and compound journal entries; prepares balance sheets and financial statements involving multiple accounts; analyzes and interprets accounting records and reports; assists higher level staff in planning, design and implementation of accounting procedures or systems; reviews expenditures and prepares or reviews financial statements; assists in budget management by compiling and reviewing agency manager program budget proposals, preparing estimates and calculations of projected expenditures and quarterly allotments, and preparing monthly reports; monitors fiscal aspects of grant programs by preparing or reviewing financial reports, reviewing expenditures for compliance with grant contracts, providing technical assistance to grantees in maintaining accounting records; recommends accounting related improvements to business practices such as accounting controls and financial reviews; utilizes EDP systems for financial records, reports and analysis; assists in EDP experts in planning and implementation of financial aspects of EDP systems; in addition to professional accounting tasks, may supervise bookkeeping (e.g. maintenance, balancing and reconciling of accounts), accounts payable and/or receivable functions or other accounting related paraprofessional or clerical functions; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of professional accounting principles and practices including knowledge of governmental accounting and budgeting; knowledge of basic auditing principles and practices; interpersonal skills; oral communication skills; ability to prepare, analyze and evaluate financial statements and other accounting records and reports; ability to analyze and evaluate accounting methods and procedures; ability to utilize EDP systems for financial management; ability to read and interpret written materials.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Six (6) years of experience in accounting or auditing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been at the paraprofessional level. Work at the paraprofessional level requires exercise of some independent judgment in applying basic accounting principles and may be compared to the level of a full charge bookkeeper. For state employees this is the level of Assistant Accountant.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
College training in accounting or a closely related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
A Master's degree in accounting may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
Certification in any of the following may be substituted for one (1) year of the General and Special Experience: Certified Public Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor.
Two (2) years of experience as an Assistant Accountant may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
- Experience with CORE-CT Financials General Ledger, Commitment Control, EPM, and other financial modules.
- Experience in preparation and processing of purchase orders and accounts payable documents.
- Experience with State and Federal reporting.
- Experience with the fiscal aspects of contract administration.
- Experience with federal grant management and reporting.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.