Are you interested in a career where you can make a difference, do what you are passionate about and receive personal fulfillment?
If so, we want you to join our team!
The Montville American Job Center (AJC) system is a partnership of organizations that provide workforce assistance to job seekers and employers. This collaboration of state, regional, and local organizations work as a system to help prepare and train the workforce and offer services that help businesses and industry find talent. We offer a full complement of employment services, including general job search assistance, Career Centers use, career counseling, resume/cover letter assistance, employer recruitments, workshops, and employment services for veterans. We can also assist with unemployment insurance questions.
The State of Connecticut, Department of Labor (DOL) is committed to protecting and promoting the interests of Connecticut workers. In order to accomplish this in a constantly evolving environment, we assist workers and employers to become competitive in the global economy. We take a comprehensive approach to meeting the needs of workers and employers, and the other agencies that serve them. We ensure the supply of high-quality integrated services that serve the needs of our customers.
We have an opening for multiple Connecticut Careers Trainees with the target class of Labor Department Community Services Representative (LDCSR). These opportunities are in the Montville American Job Center. These are full time, Monday through Friday, first shift positions. The hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Telework will be available at the discretion of the manager. Commuting between affiliate offices in Danielson and Willimantic may be required.
Note: This is a one year training program, after successful completion of the training program you will be promoted to the target class of LDCSR.
You will receive training in introductory governmental work for development of skills and knowledge in the field of public administration in order to qualify for advancement into agency professional positions. You will perform a variety of increasingly difficult duties as skills are acquired during the course of the training period.
Eligibility for promotion to the target class LDCSR (Salary pay plan SH Grade 17) is earned upon successful completion of the one-year training program.
Starting salary with a Bachelor's and/or Master's degree: SH 15 Step 1, $47,424 annually.
For current state employees compensation will be in accordance with guidelines for computing salary adjustments set forth by the Department of Administrative Services, Determining Salary Upon Change in Class manual.
We offer competitive benefits including healthcare coverage, retirement plan, paid time off, including 12 paid holidays per calendar year in addition to vacation, sick and personal leave accruals. Also group life insurance and other supplemental benefits. We encourage a healthy work/life balance to all employees.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience most closely meets the preferred qualifications, so please ensure that your application is complete and details your experience as outlined in this job posting. Please note: You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application into the JobAps system.
Applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class. Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Due to the large volume of applications received, the Department of Administrative Services is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
Connect With Us:
- If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Jasmyn Raymond at Jasmyn.Raymond@ct.gov and reference the recruitment number.
- Follow the State of Connecticut on LinkedIn.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for mastering the skills necessary to satisfactorily complete the training program for a professional position.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
In a department or institution receives training in introductory governmental work for development of skills and knowledge in field of public administration in order to qualify for advancement into agency professional positions; performs a variety of increasingly difficult duties as skills are acquired during course of training period; performs related duties as required.
This position may require commuting between affiliate offices in Danielson and Willimantic, CT. The job duties will entail but are not limited to:
- Conduct UI Re-Employment Services & Eligibility Assessment Program (RESEA) interviews with claimants 1:1. Review claimant's efforts to find work and advise claimants about the services available in the AJC to assist in their return to the workforce. Identify potential UI eligibility issues. Provide labor market and career information that addresses claimant’s specific needs. Make referrals to supporting agencies for re-employment services and/or training.
- Register/Enroll customers in Wagner-Peyser via the state's workforce development business system, CTHires, and provide job matching assistance. Record activities and messages regarding services provided.
- Provide employment services (both virtually and in-person) to job seekers on a rotating basis by providing job search assistance, assisting with the completion of online job applications, critiquing & guidance on résumés and advising on cover letters and thank you letters.
- Facilitate employment readiness workshops to job seekers on topics such as, but not limited to: Fundamentals of Résumé Writing, Interviewing Strategies & Techniques, Successful Job Search Strategies and LinkedIn.
- May assist UI customers with filing claims, address changes, weekly claim assistance and provide general UI information/assistance. Review the rules of UI eligibility with customers and all the various services and resources available in the Workforce Development system to help customers return to work sooner, before UI benefits exhaust.
- Maintain & record messages, activities & case notes in the UI business system and CTHires.
- Determine eligibility for Dislocated Worker status based on Agency guidelines and certify job seekers as dislocated workers.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Oral and written communication skills; ability to acquire knowledge and skills required for the target classification; ability to understand, evaluate and solve problems by exercising judgement and logic; ability to read, interpret and understand written material; ability to perform basic arithmetical computations; ability to interpret charts, graphs and tables; learning and reasoning ability; ability to establish and maintain cooperative relations with superiors, associates and general public; ability to utilize computer software.
Possession of a Bachelor's or Master's degree.
If the target job classification has a Substitution Allowed that requires the Bachelor's or Master's degree to be in a specific area(s), then these specific degree areas are required for appointment to the Connecticut Career Trainee classification.
Candidates cannot be appointed until all degree requirements are complete.
Preference will be given to candidates with the following experience:
- Providing customer service and interacting with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Working on multiple tasks, producing accurate results, and meeting deadlines.
- Using virtual platforms (such as Microsoft Teams, Zoom, etc.) to participate in meetings, attend trainings and provide virtual services.
- Using Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.