Does an opportunity to learn from specialists in the tourism industry excite you?
Are you interested in promoting local tourism?
If so, read below & apply today!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Economic & Community Development (DECD), Office of Tourism, is now accepting applications for several Travel Counselor (Summer Worker) opportunities in Darien, Westbrook and West Willington, CT. On your application please be sure to select the location(s) you’re willing to work and seasonal employment status. Failure to do so may lead to not being considered. The Office of Tourism works to promote travel and tourism through various marketing program tactics. DECD is the state's lead agency responsible for strengthening Connecticut’s competitive position in the rapidly changing, knowledge-based global economy.
The Role: The Welcome Center program is highly visible and creates the opportunity to promote tourism activities, overnight stays, attractions, dining, and cultural related experiences directly to a targeted audience. The centers are open 7 days a week from 9:00 to 5:30pm. Employees will share the responsibility to ensure staff coverage, up to 40 hours a week, these positions are not eligible for benefits. You must be available for the full duration of the program which runs from May 2022 through October 2022.
Discover the Opportunity to:
- Promote the State of Connecticut as a vacation destination to in-coming visitors.
- Serve as a Connecticut Ambassador and tourism spokesperson to first time visitors.
- Greet walk-in visitors and provide travel information, itineraries, and directions as requested.
- Conduct customer service out-reach to incoming visitors.
- Comply with program policy and procedure.
- Perform daily duties with limited supervision.
- Report to welcome center Program Manager.
- Offer suggested travel itineraries to incoming visitors.
- Order promotional literature as needed to maintain adequate supply to effectively perform.
- Compile daily and weekly volume of visitor statistics and traveling trends.
- Sort incoming literature and organizes in a user-friendly system for visitors to inquire.
- Contact industry members for additional copies of their promotional literature.
- Prepare bi-weekly work schedules.
- Facilitate customer complaints regarding facility conditions and/or services.
- Showcase your knowledge of Microsoft software skills.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board daily to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders daily in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- If have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In various agencies as a summer employee performs one or more tasks and assigned duties of a seasonal nature in providing a variety of services to clients or the public in one of several areas. This class may also be used during the winter college intersession for a period not to exceed six weeks.
Work areas covered by this class shall include the assignments and hourly rates as listed below:
|Patient Care Services
|Transportation Services (Bus Driver)
|Tourist Information Clerk
|Specialized Recreational Services
|Tourist Information Coordinator
|Information Technology System Analysis
Minimum and maximum hourly rates will be subject to the following criteria:
1. Returning Summer Workers may receive $.50 an hour additional compensation for each season of service up to the maximum hourly rate.
2. Experienced workers in the specific functional area with another employer may be credited with such time on an equivalent basis to seasons worked and granted the same additional compensation up to the maximum hourly rate.
3. College students may be granted additional compensation of up to $.50 more per hour (up to the maximum hourly rate) for each full year of completed education on the basis of 30 semester hours equaling one (1) year.
Determination of hourly rate is based on the above criteria. Additional compensation is based on only one criteria. It is not intended for individuals to receive additional compensation through application of the multiple criteria listed above.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
See attached Addendum
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of principles, practices and procedures of assigned specialty; knowledge in operation of equipment, materials and activities of assigned specialty; knowledge to degree necessary for dealing with and understanding client behavior; interpersonal skills; skill in techniques of assigned specialty; ability to assist clients in self-care habits, personal hygiene and proper social conduct where applicable; ability to understand and carry out written orders and oral instructions; adequate physical strength and stamina to perform duties; some positions may require supervisory and/or leadership abilities.
Any experience and training that could reasonably be expected to provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
- Experience working independently.
- Experience with customer service.
- Experience using Microsoft office products.
- Experience using the internet.
1. Incumbents in this class assigned to recreational activities must be able to perform emergency first aid as needed and certain positions will require a current Standard First Aid Certificate.
2. Incumbents in this class assigned as bus drivers or operate a motor vehicle must possess and retain a current Connecticut Motor Vehicle Operator License to drive a bus and/or a Motor Vehicle Operators License as necessary.
3. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.