Are you looking to advance your career while being able to make a difference in your community? If so, we are looking for someone to Make an ImpaCT as a Social Services Program Manager within the Department of Aging and Disability Services!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Aging and Disability Services (ADS), is an agency whose mission is to maximize opportunities for the independence and well-being of people with disabilities and older adults in Connecticut.
Within ADS, our State Unit on Aging (SUA) is seeking qualified individuals for the position of Social Services Program Manager (PCN 34558). This role will be located at 55 Farmington Avenue in Hartford. This is a full time, 40 hour per week position. The work schedule is first shift, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Please note: This position requires travel both in and out of the State.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL DISCOVER THE OPPORTUNITY TO:
- Be responsible for managing several staff members, as well as various aging programs
- Develop and implement the State Plan on Aging and oversee Management Information Systems for collecting, reporting and analyzing data
- Be responsible for administrative, fiscal and technical support activities, as well as policy guidance provided to Area Agencies on Aging or other Aging Network contractors for services provided through Federal and State funds
- Provide statewide program, contractual and technical support for the federal Older Americans Act and state funded programs that support Connecticut’s older adults and caregivers
- Ensure that the State Unit on Aging’s goals, objectives and strategies under the State Plan on Aging are met through a guided and coordinated statewide effort to strengthen and expand service delivery to Connecticut’s older adults
The State Unit on Aging ensures that Connecticut’s elders have access to the supportive services necessary to live with dignity, security, and independence. The unit is responsible for planning, developing, and administering a comprehensive and integrated service delivery system for older persons in Connecticut.
This position may be subject to Federal requirements for COVID-19 Vaccination Immunization.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- You must specify your qualifications on your application. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
- Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Joseph K. Fried at Joseph.Fried@ct.gov, 860-924-7053.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Departments of Aging and Disability Services, Social Services and Department of Children and Families, Revenue Enhancement Division, this class is accountable for planning, organizing and directing a major program.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Directs a major program which provides social services through the supervision of district/area operations; coordinates and evaluates a program or field reporting system; participates in program development and implementation; develops policies and procedures which relate to program or field operation services; analyzes federal and state statutes, programming documents, regulations, etc., to insure appropriate policies and procedures; interacts with state, federal and community agencies on human services matters to ensure service delivery; determines priorities and develops necessary plans to meet program objectives; prepares management surveys and reports; coordinates activities of staff to meet program goals and project deadlines; provides technical assistance to field staff; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of principles and practices of social services programs; considerable knowledge of relevant state and federal laws, statutes and regulations; considerable knowledge of principles of public administration; knowledge of and ability to apply management principles and techniques; knowledge of community organizations and public assistance agencies; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; ability to analyze and recommend solutions to complex problems; ability to analyze and assess impact of legislation, regulations, etc. on programmatic goals.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Nine (9) years of professional employment in the social services field.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been a supervisory or consultative capacity with programmatic and administrative responsibilities.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in human services or public administration may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Experience directing a major program in the field of Aging
- Experience writing and implementing a statewide plan across programs or an agency
- Experience with reporting Management Information Systems (MIS) database for data collection
- Experience with reporting Reporting and analysis to the Administration for Community Living
- Experience working with statutes, regulations, budgets and contracts
- Experience supervising staff
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.