Do you enjoy performing detailed work while assisting in the review of engineering design plans and specifications? If so, come make an impact by serving your State. Read below & apply today!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Transportation (DOT), is now accepting applications for a Design Engineer Trainee (Electrical) position with a target class of Design Engineer 1 (Electrical) in the Bureau of Engineering and Construction, Division of Traffic, in the Signal Laboratory. This position is full time, 40 hours per week and in the P-4 bargaining unit. The Design Engineer Trainee (Electrical) position in the Signal Laboratory has a one- year training program and the official State job classification is Engineer Intern.
Current students who will be graduating with a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or closely related degree, by the end of June 2022 are strongly encouraged to apply!
The Role: Design Engineer Trainees receive training to acquire technical skills for designing, supporting, and repairing traffic signal electronic equipment for the DOT's over 2,500 signalized intersections. As technical skills are developed during the course of the training period, duties will include:
- Developing and implementing traffic signal system timing plans
- Reviewing shop drawings and signal design layout plans prepared both by the Department and private sector engineers
- Maintaining signal equipment in the field to ensure continued operation of the State's traffic signal systems
- Other duties as assigned
Upon successful completion of the one year training program, the incumbent will be promoted by reclassification to the target classification of Design Engineer 1 (Electrical). With continued successful performance as a Design Engineer 1 (Electrical) for one year, the incumbent will be promoted to Design Engineer 2 (Electrical).
About Us: As one of Connecticut’s largest State agencies, DOT employs approximately 3,000 individuals statewide in five distinct bureaus. It is our mission to provide a safe, accessible and efficient multimodal transportation network that improves the quality of life and promotes economic vitality for the State and the region. We have a significant transportation infrastructure system that is essential to maintaining mobility for Connecticut residents and businesses and supporting economic and community development while preserving environmental and cultural resources. The Department of Transportation is committed to cultivating a diverse staff that is representative of the communities we serve. Applications from individuals having diverse backgrounds and life experiences are strongly encouraged.
What We Can Offer You: The DOT offers a competitive starting salary, excellent State benefits package including health/dental insurance, generous paid time off, retirement plan options, alternate work schedules, and a culture that encourages work-life balance!
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, available to travel to and attend trainings, conferences, public meetings, field reviews, etc. both within and outside of normal working hours when necessary
- Must possess and retain a valid driver's license
- Please ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
Connect With Us:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Due to the large volume of applications received, the DOT is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Michelle.Gara@ct.gov or (860) 952-9087.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for receiving training in introductory professional engineering work for the development of technical and professional engineering skills and knowledge in order to qualify for advancement to the technical engineering work of the agency.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs a wide variety of increasingly difficult duties as technical skills are acquired during course of training period.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
General knowledge of basic engineering theories, principles and methods; skill in use of drafting and calculating instruments; considerable ability in performing mathematical computations, making neat and accurate drawings and preparing minor design and structural details; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
A Bachelor's degree in the discipline required by the target class.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Electrical or Electronics Engineering, Electrical or Electronics Engineering Technology, Computer and Electronic Engineering Technology, Electromechanical Engineering Technology, or closely related major
- Training or experience in engineering or maintenance of electronic equipment
- Knowledge of or experience with the Department’s traffic signal software and associated hardware such as ATMS.now, Streetwise, Smartways, and GridSmart
- Training or experience in creating and maintaining intersection databases
- Training or experience interpreting traffic signal plans for sequences, hold phases, coordination types, detection zones and how they relate to software applications
- Training or experience designing intersection detection zone layouts
- Training or experience with networking protocol. IP addressing, communication equipment, IP over ethernet
- Training or experience using Bluebeam and Office 365 tools
- Training or experience with technical documents such as design specifications or instruction manuals
- Experience with providing customer service and support
- Experience communicating successfully, verbally and in writing, with teammates and stakeholders of all levels
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.