COME WORK WITH GREAT PEOPLE AT ONE OF CONNECTICUT'S BEAUTIFUL STATE PARKS!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) is seeking to fill multiple Seasonal Resource Assistant positions at Talcott Mountain State Park in Simsbury, CT.
Visitors enjoy the beautiful Talcott Mountain State Park with the Heublein Tower atop the ridge of Talcott Mountain. Staff support for Talcott Mountain State Park along with several other state forest and other properties in the Farmington River Valley such as Stratton Brook State Park in Simsbury is provided by The Penwood Unit of the CT State Park and Forest System.
Positions Include: (see details under Examples of Duties)
Interpretive Guide: Talcott Mountain – Hub Tower: Acts as primary visitor contact, works to increase the public's understanding, appreciation, enjoyment of, and concern for the natural resources of our State Parks; conducts a variety of interpretive programs including, but not limited to, lectures, classes, tours, field walks, canoe trips, campfire programs, and special events to a wide variety of audiences; may assist with program development. Minimum Age: 18.
Most positions are first shift, some will be second or third shift. Typically positions are 5 days per week and will include weekend shifts.
For inquiries specific to the position and regarding the status of your application, must be made directly to the individual park: Stephany.Dumond@ct.gov
CT DEEP encourages you to consider applying for seasonal opportunities at multiple locations while your application is under review.
Please be advised that resumes are no longer being accepted during the time that you apply. Please ensure that your application is complete and displays your qualifications. You will be unable to make revisions once it is submitted. Questions can be sent to Emily.Kennedy@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, as a limited duration employee, performs one or more of a variety of tasks and assigned duties of a seasonal nature.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Interpretive Guide: Talcott Mountain – Hub Tower: Acts as primary visitor contact, works to increase the public's understanding, appreciation, enjoyment of, and concern for the natural resources of our State Parks; conducts a variety of interpretive programs including, but not limited to, lectures, classes, tours, field walks, canoe trips, campfire programs, and special events to a wide variety of audiences; may assist with program development. Minimum Age: 18. Approximate Dates of Employment: mid-April to mid-October, mid-May to mid-November and mid-February to mid-August.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Ability to follow instructions.
- A background in either the natural sciences or education
- Applicants that are able work full-time for the entire recreation season
- Related experience or training
1. Incumbents in this class who are assigned as supervisors of small recreational units will perform emergency first aid as needed and will be required to obtain and retain a Basic First Aid Certificate.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required for certain positions to meet any of the following:
a. Proof of possession of a valid Motor Vehicle Operator license.
b. Possession of a valid license to apply pesticides.
c. College training in a specific field.
d. Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification may be required by specific State facilities.
3. Incumbents performing lifeguard services must have and retain an American Red Cross (ARC) Lifeguarding Certification (includes CPR for the Professional Rescuer and Basic First Aid). An EMT or MRT certification may be substituted for the CPR and First Aid requirements.
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain adequate physical strength and stamina to perform the duties of the class.
2. Incumbents performing lifeguard services must be able to demonstrate American Red Cross (ARC) waterfront lifeguarding swimming skills.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.