Are you a current Connecticut Department of Education employee? Do you enjoying preparing nutritious and delicious meals for students? If so, read below & apply today!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Education (SDE), is now accepting applications for a part-time (25 hours per week) Assistant Cook opportunity located at J. M. Wright Technical Education and Career School in Stamford CT. The mission of the Connecticut Technical Education and Career System (CTECS) is to provide a world-class, unique, and rigorous learning environment for high school students and adult learners that:
- Ensures both student academic success and trade/technology mastery and instills a zest for lifelong learning.
- Prepares students for postsecondary education, including apprenticeships and immediate productive employment.
- Engages regional, state, national and international employers, and industries in a vibrant collaboration to respond to current, emerging and changing global work force needs and expectations through business/school partnerships.
- Pursues and participates in global partnerships that provide CTECS students with international exposure and experience.
The Role & Schedule: CTECS serves approximately 11,200 full-time high school students. You will work in a school cafeteria environment at J. M. Wright Technical High School in Stamford, CT. The hours are Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Note: This is a 10-month position.
All state employees shall follow Executive Order 13G (as amended by Executive Order 14C).
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must have attained permanent state status* and be a current State of CT employee of the agency listed above for at least six (6) months, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- *For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
Important Information After You Apply:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- Should you have any questions about this recruitment please contact email@example.com.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
This class is accountable for performing a full range of basic tasks in the preparation and cooking of food.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs a variety of basic tasks in preparing soups, salads, meats, vegetables, desserts, beverages, nourishments, etc.; cleans, washes, polishes pots, pans, dishes, silverware, kitchen equipment, floors, walls, etc.; operates kitchen machines and equipment; may participate in serving food and packing food for delivery; may receive training in the preparation of food on a large scale; may prepare food in the absence of the cook; assists with the receiving and storage of food; may assist in the preparation of production records; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Some knowledge of simple food preparation; some knowledge of liquid and dry weights and measures; some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; ability to follow instructions and learn routines; some mathematical ability.
Any experience and training which would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
- Food service experience in a school.
- Experience using institutional food service equipment.
- Experience with bulk and individual plate cooking techniques.
- Experience using computerized point-of-sale cashiering systems.
- Possession of or ability to acquire a ServSafe certification or other comparable certification.
Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
Incumbents must be free from communicable diseases.
A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to risk of injury from equipment and utensils used in the kitchen and from patients/clients.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.