The State of Connecticut, Department of Mental Health
and Addiction Services (DMHAS) is a health
care agency whose mission is to promote the overall health and wellness of
persons with behavioral health needs through an integrated network of holistic,
comprehensive, effective, and efficient services and supports that foster
dignity, respect, and self-sufficiency in those we serve.
Do you want to be a part of a dynamic team of caring individuals and assist our clients/patients so they can achieve success? Do you want to make a difference in the
public sector? If so, apply today to
Make an ImpaCT as a Clerk Typist for the State of Connecticut!
The DMHAS, River Valley Services
(RVS) is currently recruiting for a full-time Clerk Typist to join our
team. This position is part of the Health
Information Management (HIM) Department located in Leak Hall Reception Office,
1000 Silver Street, Middletown, CT. The
work schedule is 1st shift, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through
Friday, 40 hours weekly. The position
number is 131285.
Our goal at RVS is to provide the highest quality crisis
intervention, case management, and residential and clinical services to adult
citizens, 18 years of age and older, who suffer from serious mental disorders
and who lack the financial means to secure such services in the private
sector. Services are directed at improving clients’ quality of life and
fostering dignity, ability, and recovery. We are dedicated to promoting a
complete and responsive service system for our clients and others in need. All
persons receiving services from River Valley Services have the right to
culturally appropriate mental health and addiction services consistent with
their communication needs and personal preferences.
In this role you will discover the opportunity to:
- Welcome and screen clients;
- Direct clients and/or visitors to their appointment;
- Be responsible for providing coverage at Leak and Dutton home sites;
- Handle routine requests for information;
- Provide assistance over the
telephone or in person; and
- Monitor the sign-in sheet for clients and staff.
We participate in a competitive
benefits plan that includes healthcare
coverage, a retirement plan as well as paid time off! We encourage a healthy
work-life balance to all
This position will be filled in
accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer,
promotion and merit employment rules.
Candidates who meet the
Minimum Qualifications - as listed on the job opening - will be considered for
this role, as determined by qualifications stated on the submitted
The immediate vacancy is listed
above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future
vacancies in this job class.
employees shall follow the guidelines as listed in Executive Orders 13F (3a) and 13G (3a).
The minimum experience and
training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless
Due to the volume of applications
anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during
the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal
This posting may require
completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via
an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by
visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires
section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's
expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status
Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily
basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a
Although applicants will receive
correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to
their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all
emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
In order to comply
with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes
during the initial application process.
Note: At any point during
the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional
documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position.
These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts,
diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references,
licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must
meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
Should you have questions
pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Doreen Clemson at Doreen.Clemson@ct.gov or (860) 785-9855.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency, this class is accountable for performing a full range of general clerical functions including basic processing, reception, filing, record keeping, bookkeeping and typing.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
1. TYPING: Using a typewriter, personal computer and other electronic equipment types a variety of materials from rough copy or electronic recording device including correspondence, memos, reports, forms, applications, bills and other documents and records with speed and accuracy; reviews and corrects drafts for conformance with originals; enters and retrieves data on personal computers and computer terminals.
2. FILING: Maintains logs; sets up and maintains records and files according to established procedures; (e.g. alpha, numeric or chronological order); searches files for information.
3. CORRESPONDENCE: Prepares and sends out standard form letters making minor revisions or additions.
4. REPORT WRITING: Compiles information from standard sources and prepares reports.
5. INTERPERSONAL: Answers phone, transfers calls and takes messages; receives and directs visitors; handles routine requests for information, procedural guidelines or assistance over the telephone or in person; (e.g. counter, reception and/or information desk).
6. PROCESSING: Receives, sorts and distributes mail; performs a variety of basic processing tasks (e.g., sorts, numbers, codes and files materials), reviews materials for accuracy and completeness (ensures categorical information is completed as required), makes changes per instructions or as authorized, verifies information through cross-referencing of existing computer and/or manual files or inquiries by phone or form letter to sender or other work units; does routine posting to ledgers, account books or other records; receives payments for licenses, bills, applications, fines and fees, etc.; prepares, totals and balances receipts; prepares cash transmittal/deposit slips; types and prepares purchase requisitions, orders or billing invoices according to established procedures; assists in or maintains inventory and orders supplies; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of office procedures including proper telephone usage and filing; knowledge of spelling, punctuation and grammar; skill in typing a variety of materials; basic interpersonal skill; basic oral and written communication skills; basic skill in performing arithmetical computations; ability to operate office equipment which includes personal computers, computer terminals and other electronic equipment; ability to perform basic clerical tasks such as coding, sorting, alphabetizing and numeric ordering.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Six (6) months as a Typist or its equivalent.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
Graduation from high school with coursework in typing.
Our ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Experience working in a medical or behavioral health office.
- Experience handling confidential, proprietary, medical or other types of
- Experience scanning and uploading documents.
- Experience in general office procedures including proper, high volume telephone
usage and filing.
- Experience interacting with a diverse population.
- Experience working on multiple tasks.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.