Looking for a new and exciting path in your career?
If so, we invite you to check out this opportunity!
The Public Utilities Regulatory Authority (PURA) is statutorily charged with regulating the rates and services of Connecticut's investor owned electric, natural gas, water and telecommunication companies and is the franchising authority for the state's cable television companies. Ensuring affordable and reliable service from these sectors is critical to maintaining public health and safety and a thriving economy in the state of Connecticut.
PURA is statutorily charged with regulating many aspects of Connecticut's utility sector, including but not limited to:
PURA is currently looking to expand its recently created Office of Education, Outreach and Enforcement (EOE) to include a Utilities Examiner 1 – a role that is responsible for performing a full range of accounting tasks in the analysis, interpretation, and evaluation of complex financial statements and statistical exhibits submitted by public utility companies. This position will be part of the Licensing and Certification Unit housed within the Office of Education, Outreach, and Enforcement. The person in this role may have the opportunity to lead other technical staff in the context of specific projects or proceedings.
- Ensuring the prudence of electric system modernization, natural gas system expansion and water system infrastructure investments.;
- Reviewing mergers and acquisitions in all the above regulated sectors;
- Conducting periodic utility rate cases;
- Overseeing service quality, safety and investment for the state's telecommunication infrastructure;
- Implementing federal requirements for natural gas pipeline safety.
The selected candidate will play a crucial role on upcoming assignments associated with PURA's implementation of its Equitable Modern Grid Initiative and key portions of Public Act 20-5, known as the "Take Back Our Grid" Act, including but not limited to, investigations, inspections, and audits into the financial records of regulated electric, gas, water utilities, and telecommunications companies. The person in this role may also play a role in advising and opining on the financial stability of regulated companies.
For more information regarding the impact and potential associated with being a member of the EOE, applicants are encouraged to review recent publications regarding the office’s accomplishments, such as this November 18, 2021 article.
This is a full-time, 40 hours-per-week position on first shift, located in New Britain.
We offer a competitive benefits plan that includes healthcare coverage, a retirement plan as well as paid time off, including 12 paid holidays per calendar year!
For more information on PURA's Office of Education, Outreach, and Enforcement, check out the video below:
All State employees shall follow the guidelines as listed in Executive Orders 13F (3a) and 13G (3a) .
The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
Questions about this recruitment should be directed to Jake Ferrari via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection and the Office of Consumer Counsel this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of tasks in the analysis, interpretation and evaluation of complex financial statements and statistical exhibits submitted by public utilities companies
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Participates in design, preparation and review of annual reports of all utilities required to be filed with agency and auditing of books and records of utilities subject to regulation; participates in design and installation of new accounting systems and revision of established systems; assists in analysis, interpretation and evaluation of complex financial statements and statistical exhibits submitted by utilities in rate cases; assists in development of specifications for computerized financial and accounting models; may conduct cross examination of company witnesses on financial exhibits submitted in rate cases; may draft interrogatories; may assist in the preparation of briefs; may be required to evaluate propriety of proposed issue of securities by Connecticut utilities in light of current security markets and accepted utility capitalization structures; may advise on effects of changes on operating results of utilities subject to agency regulation; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of accounting and auditing principles and practices; knowledge of and ability to apply laws and regulations pertaining to public utilities; knowledge of utility accounting practices; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to analyze and evaluate financial statements, accounting forms and accounting methods and procedures; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Seven (7) years of experience in accounting or auditing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been at the professional working level of Accounts Examiner or Accountant.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training in accounting may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (l5) semester hours equalling one-half (l/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in business, accounting or finance may be substituted for one (l) additional year of the General Experience.
3. Certification in any one of the following may be substituted for one (l) additional year of experience: Certified Public Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor.
- Experience working with governmental regulation of public utilities accounting principles and practices;
- Experience analyzing, interpreting, and evaluating utility company financial statements;
- Experience in accounting audits and company financial statement reviews;
- Experience using data and economic information to form statistical analysis;
- Experience with technical writing for audiences of varying expertise;
- Experience working with regulatory agency policies and procedures;
- Experience interacting with and explaining information to multiple departments, agencies and other outside officials through phone, email, virtual platform, and face-to-face contact;
- Experience managing multiple projects, identifying problems and making decisions independently;
- Experience working in Microsoft Office 365 applications, including SharePoint and Teams.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.