Do you have a strong desire to assist the traveling public while making a difference? If so, we have an opportunity to serve your state!
The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation is seeking qualified applicants to fill a vacancy for a DOT Rest Area Attendant position located at the I-84 E/B, Willington Rest Area. The candidate pool resulting from this job announcement may be used to fill future vacancies that may occur in the following Rest Area Facilities: Middletown, Southington and Willington.
This position is full-time, 40 hours per week, with the following work schedule:
•Monday: 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
•Tuesday: 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
•Wednesday: Midnight to 8:00 AM
•Thursday: Midnight to 8:00 AM
•Friday: 4:00 PM to Midnight
•Saturday: Scheduled day off
•Sunday: Scheduled day off
*The entry level rate for this class will be ten (10%) percent below the posted starting salary. Upon completion of the initial six month working test period, the incumbent's salary will be adjusted to the FM pay plan, Step 1 of the salary grade for this class.
Requirements: A valid driver's license and pre-physical examination are required.
Our Mission: The mission of the State of Connecticut, Department of Transportation (DOT) is to provide a safe and efficient intermodal transportation network that improves the quality of life and promotes economic vitality for the State and the region. We have a vision to lead, inspire, and motivate a progressive, responsive team, striving to exceed customer expectations.
What we can offer you:
- Excellent health and dental coverage
- A generous retirement plan
- Paid time off
- A healthy work/life balance!
All State employees shall follow the guidelines as listed in Executive Orders 13F (3a) and 13G (3a).
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date.
- Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
Due to the large volume of applications received, the DOT is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Hayley Newhouse at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation this class is accountable for performing the full range of basic tasks in the maintenance and operation of State maintained rest areas: operates and maintains small and less complex mechanical equipment or acts as a helper on larger and more complex equipment.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Provides a twenty-four (24) hour, seven (7) day a week (inside) and (outside) service at each facility.
The duties will include grass cutting, trimming, shrub bed maintenance, hedge row trimming, litter pickup, refuse removal from the site, snow and ice removal; and continuous cleaning within the confines of the rest area grounds and buildings; provide a neat and clean facility at all times; assist the traveling public, service people and/or vendors as required; replace light bulbs (building), unplug toilets, and perform other minor maintenance items; report any and all surface water leaks, or plumbing malfunctions, such as flush valves, sink faucets and exposed pipe leaks to the supervisor immediately; prepare daily, weekly and monthly reports for the facilities, including water, heating fuel, propane fuel, generator and fire extinguishers; monitor and report on the status of all useable commodities needing replacement such as fuel in a timely fashion to avoid running out; perform all required seasonal work, such as keeping all walkways and stairwells and necessary pathways clean and free of snow and ice; gather and remove leaves; performs Spring cleanup including the removal of any and all debris that has fallen from trees during the Winter months, (branches, leaves, etc.); perform related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Some knowledge of the physical properties of standard maintenance materials; some knowledge of mechanical principles; some knowledge of the basic practices of the maintenance trade; considerable interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to use hand and power tools and make minor repairs to simpler mechanical equipment; ability to operate equipment listed on the attached addendum; ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
Any experience and training which would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
- Experience in maintenance trade practices, using maintenance materials, and applying mechanical principles.
- Experience working with a diverse group of individuals in a customer service setting.
- Experience communicating in person, over the phone, and in writing with a variety of constituents, including co-workers and the public.
- Experience operating maintenance-related equipment, such as snow blowers, push mowers, walk behind zero-turn mowers, weed whackers
- Reside within 30 miles of facility
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain an appropriate valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license and other licenses required by governmental authorities.
2. Attendant must be able to train new employees and relief employees to perform the duties and responsibilities of this class as required.
3. Incumbent must be in uniform on site at all times during the shift.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina and physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness so as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination will be required.
Incumbents in this class are exposed to extremes of weather conditions, to occasional lifting of heavy weights, and frequent lifting of moderate weights, to highly dangerous road and traffic conditions, to poison ivy, insect bites and allergy irritants during summer months, and to loud and potentially dangerous machinery.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.