Do you want to be part of a great team of Engineering and Construction professionals who are shaping the future of Transportation in Connecticut? Are you passionate about shaping the future of transportation in Connecticut? If so, come join our great team of engineering and construction professionals and make an ImpaCT!
The Role: This position will be responsible for a variety of duties related to construction project constructability reviews, construction inspection, testing, field work, project closeout and record auditing and post construction reviews in the Construction Unit .
Application Details: Please list your Driver's license number, expiration date, and issuing State, and any other job-relevant licenses or certifications you hold, in the Licenses and Professional Certifications section of your application. In the location section of your application select Rocky Hill, or all. Failure to complete any of these steps may result in not being considered for this role.
What We Can Offer You:
The DOT offers a competitive starting salary, excellent State benefits package
including health/dental insurance, generous paid time off, retirement plan options, alternate work schedules, and a culture that encourages work-life balance
All State employees shall follow the guidelines as listed in Executive Orders 13F (3a) and 13G (3a).
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date.
- Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
Due to the large volume of applications received, the DOT is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Hayley Newhouse at email@example.com.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation, this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of engineering or related tasks in one or more aspects of transportation construction engineering projects or studies in the following areas: construction, administration, rehabilitation, surveying, testing, materials testing, operations, or maintenance.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Inspects construction projects; acts as a team member in preparation of plans and estimates for construction or maintenance of bridges, structures and highways; reviews shop plans; oversees collection, recording, preparation and analysis of data pertaining to materials testing and transportation planning; assists in budget preparation, report writing, general planning and administration of unit work from an engineering project coordination and technical stand point; prepares research and administrative reports; assembles and prepares contracts and unit cost figures; plans budgetary requirements; leads survey parties or acts as chief inspector of highway construction projects; oversees field and office work in surveys; performs complex tasks in the generation of base survey planimetric and topographic mapping and cross sections utilizing an analytical stereoplotter and a CADD (computer aided design and drafting) system work terminal; oversees and plans work of technical aides in maintenance, taking and analyzing test borings; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of principles and practices of more than one specialized field in transportation construction engineering such as construction, surveys and materials testing; skill and ability to analyze and evaluate construction location problems and provide effective solutions; considerable skill in use of computer aided design and drafting (CADD) applications; considerable technical skills in preparation of engineering and administrative reports; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to perform complex mathematical calculations; ability to develop and interpret plans and specifications.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Construction Management and two (2) years of experience in a professional transportation construction engineering or transportation engineering capacity.
Note: For State employees, one (1) year of experience must have been at the level of Transportation Engineer 1 (Construction Engineering) or (Engineering).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. Possession of Land Surveyor (LS) licensure or Professional Engineer (PE) licensure from the Department of Consumer Protection State Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors consistent with C.G.S.§20-302 may be substituted for the Bachelor’s degree requirement.
2. Possession of Land Surveyor-In-Training (LSIT) licensure or Engineer-In-Training (EIT) licensure from the Department of Consumer Protection State Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors consistent with C.G.S.§20-302 may be substituted for the Bachelor’s degree requirement.
3. Possession of at least Level III certification, from the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET), in one of the following Civil Engineering Technology Programs may be substituted for the Bachelor’s degree requirement:
a. Transportation Construction Inspection Program - Highway Construction Inspection
b. Construction Materials Testing Program - Asphalt or Concrete
c. Transportation Program - Highway Materials, Highway Surveys or Highway Construction Inspection
4. Possession of a Level III Survey Technician Certification from the National Society of Professional Surveyors may be substituted for the Bachelor’s Degree requirement.
5. A Master’s degree in engineering may be substituted for one (1) year of the General Experience.
- Experience with construction project record keeping and documentation for conformance with Department policies and procedures
- Experience understanding technical information presented in meetings in both the field and office
- Experience using SiteManager, AASHTOWare, COMPASS or similar construction reporting software
- Experience using Bluebeam and Office365 tools with an emphasis on Word, Excel, SharePoint, Teams and Outlook
- Experience reviewing construction project documents including engineering reports, schedules, designs, shop drawings, time extensions, plans and specifications related to highway, traffic, drainage, or structure construction
- Experience prioritizing work to meet time sensitive deadlines on group and individual projects
- Experience leveraging interpersonal skills to avoid and deescalate conflicts and maintain professionalism during challenging situations
- Relevant information such as possession of any licensure, any specialization in college, or relevant internships must be included in the application package
1. Incumbents may be required to possess appropriate certification from the NorthEast Transportation Training and Certification Program (NETTCP).
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's license.
3. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to some danger of injury or physical harm from highway or construction environments and a moderate degree of discomfort from exposure to year round weather conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.