The State of Connecticut, Department of Veterans
Affairs (DVA) is looking for an Office Assistant to join our
team. For over 140 years, Connecticut
has been caring for its veterans and their dependents. We believe in "serving those who have
served". This is accomplished
through our Office of Advocacy and Assistance, Residential Facility, Healthcare
Center, and Cemetery and Burial Services.
We are dedicated to providing compassionate care to meet the
unique needs of Veteran patients; built on the foundation of integrity, honor,
and respect. We pride ourselves on fostering these qualities as we honor
Veteran patients for their service and encourage the innate bond between them.
If you are experienced in a medical office setting with
exceptional Microsoft Office skills and want to help our Veterans, we encourage you
to apply today.
This position is located at 287 West Street in Rocky
Hill. It is full-time, 40 hours per week. The work schedule is Monday through Friday, 7:30
p.m. to 4:00 p.m. The position number is
2964. This job posting is open to State
of Connecticut employees only.
Discover the opportunity to:
- Be a part of a comprehensive team of caring professionals;
- Provide support to hospital that is passionate about improving the
lives of those we serve;
- Assist our clients and employees so they can achieve success;
- Make a difference in the public sector; and
- Work together in a collaborative team environment.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee, who has permanent state status* and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
This position will be filled in
accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer,
promotion and merit employment rules.
Candidates who meet the
Minimum Qualifications - as listed on the job opening - will be considered for
this role, as determined by qualifications stated on the submitted
The immediate vacancy is listed
above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future
vacancies in this job class.
employees shall follow the guidelines as listed in Executive Orders 13F (3a) and 13G (3a).
The minimum experience and
training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless
Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we
are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment
process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
This posting may require
completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via
an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by
visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section).
Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration
date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for
notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in
the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's
Although applicants will receive
correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to
their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all
emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
Note: At any point during
the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional
documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position.
These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews,
attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion
of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as
indicated to apply for this position.
Should you have questions
pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Doreen Clemson at Doreen.Clemson@ct.gov or (860) 785-9855.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for performing a full range of general clerical functions or for carrying out responsibility for the flow and completion of clerical work in an assigned area.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
1. TYPING: Types a variety of materials in relation to other duties or as assigned; enters and retrieves data on personal computers and computer terminals.
2. FILING: Sets up and maintains office procedures, filing and indexing systems and forms for own use.
3. CORRESPONDENCE: Composes routine correspondence.
4. REPORT WRITING: Compiles and generates recurrent technical, statistical or financial reports requiring judgment in the selection and presentation of data (format).
5. INTERPERSONAL: Provides general information and referral services in response to citizen complaints or questions regarding an agency's services or authority; responds to inquiries from other work units or departments/agencies; applies agency policies and state statutes and regulations in determining case status or responding to requests for procedural assistance; may lead lower level employees in carrying out assigned clerical functions.
6. PROCESSING: Maintains calendars of due dates and initiates recurring work or special clerical projects accordingly; processes a variety of documents in determining routine case status; exercises discretion in choosing appropriate follow through procedures within defined guidelines including assembling and reviewing incoming materials for accuracy, completeness and conformance to established guidelines and agency policy and procedures, verifying information through use of internal resources and contacts with sender and other work units and soliciting additional information as required by phone or form letter; processes purchase requisitions/purchase orders for subsequent action; prepares payment lists and billing invoices; receives shipments of materials and matches/verifies shipment or billing invoices against original purchase orders; maintains billing control cards, files, journals or account ledgers by posting credits, expenditures, interest, etc.; figures payments, costs, discounts and adjustments using prescribed methods and formulas; receives monies in various forms such as cash, checks and money orders and prepares for deposit; maintains inventory and orders supplies; uses a variety of automated equipment to perform job functions; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of office systems and procedures including proper telephone usage and filing; oral and written communication skills; skill in performing arithmetical computations; basic interpersonal skills; ability to perform a full range of clerical tasks; ability to operate office equipment which includes personal computers, computer terminals and other electronic automated equipment; ability to operate office suite software; ability to schedule and prioritize workflow; ability to read and interpret complex instructions.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of general clerical work experience.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling six (6) months of experience.
Our ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Experience using an electronic healthcare appointment
- Experience providing clerical support to a clinical
- Experience booking transportation for skilled nursing
- Experience entering medical requests for patients in the
- Experience scanning documents.
Persons having responsibility for supervising or observing the behavior of inmates or custodial individuals will be required to possess a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certification by the time of permanent appointment.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.