Are you a detail-oriented Accountant looking for a new role? Do you enjoy accurately meeting critical deadlines? If so, come make an impact by serving your State. Read below & apply today!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Education (SDE), is now accepting applications for two exciting full-time Accountant opportunities in Hartford, CT. This role will support 20 Connecticut Technical Education and Career System (CTECS) schools by independently performing a full range of accounting duties. This position is Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:30pm. The mission of the Connecticut Technical Education and Career System is to provide a world-class, unique and rigorous learning environment for high school students and adult learners that:
- Ensures both student academic success and career technical education mastery, as well as promotes enthusiasm for lifelong learning.
- Prepares students for post-secondary education, including apprenticeships and immediate productive employment.
- Engages regional, state, national and international employers and industries in a vibrant collaboration to respond to current, emerging and changing global workforce needs and expectations.
- Pursues and participates in global partnerships that provide CTECS students with international exposure and experience.
About CTECS: The Connecticut Technical Education and Career System (CTECS) is the largest high school system in Connecticut, serving all geographic regions and all demographic and diverse populations. We currently operate 17 diploma-granting technical high schools, one technical education center and two aviation maintenance programs located throughout the state. The system serves approximately 11,200 full-time high school students. We offer a comprehensive high school and Career Technical Education in 31 occupational careers. The occupational careers are within 12 career clusters. In addition, the CTECS serves adult education students in aviation and apprenticeships
Discover the Opportunity to:
- Record complex and compound journal entries.
- Prepare balance sheets and financial statements involving multiple accounts.
- Analyze and interpret accounting records and reports.
- Assist higher level staff in planning, design and implementation of accounting procedures or systems.
- Review expenditures and prepare or review financial statements.
- Assist in budget management by compiling and reviewing agency manager program budget proposals, prepare estimates and calculations of projected expenditures and quarterly allotments, and prepare monthly reports.
- Monitor fiscal aspects of grant programs by preparing or reviewing financial reports, review expenditures for compliance with grant contracts, provide technical assistance to grantees in maintaining accounting records.
- Recommend accounting related improvements to business practices such as accounting controls and financial reviews.
- See other examples of duties below.
Benefits: We participate in a competitive benefits package that includes comprehensive healthcare policies including medical and dental coverage, retirement plan options, paid time off and more! We also encourage a healthy work-life balance for all employees!
Watch the video below to see what it's like to be a State of CT employee!
All State employees shall follow the guidelines as listed in Executive Orders 13F (3a) and 13G (3a).
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Please select the location(s) listed above on your application. Failure to indicate the location(s) listed above may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location. Ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
Important Information After You Apply:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- Should you have any questions about this recruitment please contact email@example.com.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of tasks in professional accounting.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Records complex and compound journal entries; prepares balance sheets and financial statements involving multiple accounts; analyzes and interprets accounting records and reports; assists higher level staff in planning, design and implementation of accounting procedures or systems; reviews expenditures and prepares or reviews financial statements; assists in budget management by compiling and reviewing agency manager program budget proposals, preparing estimates and calculations of projected expenditures and quarterly allotments, and preparing monthly reports; monitors fiscal aspects of grant programs by preparing or reviewing financial reports, reviewing expenditures for compliance with grant contracts, providing technical assistance to grantees in maintaining accounting records; recommends accounting related improvements to business practices such as accounting controls and financial reviews; utilizes EDP systems for financial records, reports and analysis; assists in EDP experts in planning and implementation of financial aspects of EDP systems; in addition to professional accounting tasks, may supervise bookkeeping (e.g. maintenance, balancing and reconciling of accounts), accounts payable and/or receivable functions or other accounting related paraprofessional or clerical functions; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of professional accounting principles and practices including knowledge of governmental accounting and budgeting; knowledge of basic auditing principles and practices; interpersonal skills; oral communication skills; ability to prepare, analyze and evaluate financial statements and other accounting records and reports; ability to analyze and evaluate accounting methods and procedures; ability to utilize EDP systems for financial management; ability to read and interpret written materials.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Six (6) years of experience in accounting or auditing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been at the paraprofessional level. Work at the paraprofessional level requires exercise of some independent judgment in applying basic accounting principles and may be compared to the level of a full charge bookkeeper. For state employees this is the level of Assistant Accountant.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
College training in accounting or a closely related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
A Master's degree in accounting may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
Certification in any of the following may be substituted for one (1) year of the General and Special Experience: Certified Public Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor.
Two (2) years of experience as an Assistant Accountant may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.
- Experience preparing monthly financial reports including income statements, balance sheets, cash flow statements, etc.
- Experience using Microsoft Excel to create budget spreadsheets using pivot tables as well as VLOOKUPs and sum if equations.
- Experience analyzing data to prepare financial forecasts.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.