Are you looking for a career in transportation and highway maintenance? Do you want to help make commuting and traveling throughout CT safer? If so, come see how you can make an impact by serving your state! Read below & apply today!
The State of Connecticut
, Department of Transportation (DOT
) is seeking qualified applicants to fill and current and anticipated Transportation Maintainer 1
positions located in the following maintenance facilities: . East Granby, Winsted, Avon, North Canaan, Litchfield, Cornwall, Torrington.
- 37.5 hours per week
- 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Required to have a 20-mile residency requirement from the posted job location Valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A or B with tank endorsement Valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC)
- Connecticut Department of Transportation Supplement (CTDOT-CDL-1).
- Various storm events will require employees to stay at work for the duration of the storm. At times this could be up to a period of several days, including holidays and weekends. Incumbents in this class must be willing to commit to and accept assignment to emergency duties, including mandatory winter overtime from November 1 through April 30, whenever his or her services are needed.
We offer our employees a variety of competitive benefits
including healthcare, retirement, and paid time off!
All State employees shall follow the guidelines as listed in Executive Orders 13D (2a) and 13F (3a).
Applicants must select all locations (listed above) in which they wish to be considered for, on their application. Failure to indicate a location listed above will result in the applicant not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
Applicants invited to interview will be required to produce a copy of their current valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A or B, reflecting "tank endorsement", and valid Medical Examiners' card (MEC) at time of interview, or they will be immediately disqualified. Candidates are also required to submit a thoroughly completed Connecticut Department of Transportation Commercial Driver's Supplement (CTDOT-CDL-1) form.
Please ensure that your application is complete, you will not be able to make revisions once you submit your application into the JobAps system. Applicants who submit and subsequently withdraw their application will not be able to resubmit for the same posting.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Uma Arun at Uma.Arun@ct.gov and reference the recruitment number.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable for performing a full range of basic tasks in the construction, maintenance and repair of State roadside, roadways, bridges, airports and other departmental facilities; operates and maintains small and less complex mechanical equipment or acts as a helper on larger and more complex equipment.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
The following is a listing of examples of trucks, equipment, tasks or related duties, the operating, maintaining or performing of which are considered to be the responsibilities and duties of positions in this class:
- 1/2, 3/4 ton Suburban
- 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton vans (passenger/cargo)
- 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton pickups (2 & 4 wheel drive)
- 2 ton, 3 ton platform stakes - sedan deliveries
- station wagons
- 3/4, 1 ton trucks, various body styles
- 9 ton dump truck (to be paid at the appropriate level).
- Mowing equipment Class 12 with or without attachments
- Wood chipper
- Pavement breakers
- Grass trimmers/brush cutters
- Walk behind snow blowers
- Portable pumping units
- Chain saws
- Vibratory compaction equipment
- Assisting employees of higher grades in more skilled operation
- Heavy custodial maintenance of buildings and grounds
- Finish grading on roadway or roadside projects
- Gas station attendants
- Hand seeding
- Helping on refuse collection trucks
- Helping on sanding and plowing
- Relief ferry mate, drawbridge attendant and/or rest area attendant
- Stores section material handling
- Wildlife hazard control
- Radio monitoring and communication
- Escort vendors, contractors, etc. in secure areas (State owned airports only)
In addition to other duties, at State-owned airports may function as a guard/watchman or may be required to receive training in, stand by for and respond to fire and/or crash emergency situations; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Some knowledge of the physical properties of standard highway or airport construction and maintenance materials; some knowledge of some mechanical principles; some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; familiarity with the basic practices of the construction and maintenance trades; ability to use and make minor repairs to small tools and the simpler mechanical equipment; ability to operate equipment listed on the attached addendum; ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions; ability to utilize computer software.
Any experience and training which would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
- Experience with snow plowing using CDL vehicles larger than 1-ton dump vehicle.
- Experience with landscaping and construction.
- Experience Snow Plowing.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
2. Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility, and visual and auditory acuity and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination will be required.
1. Incumbents in this class are exposed to extremes of weather conditions, to frequent lifting of heavy weights, to highly dangerous road and traffic conditions, including exposure to heights when working on bridges, to poison ivy, insect bites and allergy irritants during summer months, and to loud and potentially dangerous machinery.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.