Are you a culinary professional with the desire to prepare high quality meals for students? If so, we invite you to read below & apply today!
The State of Connecticut, State Department of Education (SDE) is now accepting applications for three exciting part-time Assistant Cook roles located at Technical Education and Career Schools in Meriden, New Britain, and Ansonia, CT. These positions are part-time (25 hours/week), 10 months a year, Monday to Friday 6:30am-12:00pm (H.C. Wilcox) 8:00am-1:30pm (E.C. Goodwin) and 7:00am- 12:30pm (Emmett O'Brien).
The mission of the Connecticut Technical Education and Career System is to provide a world-class, unique, and rigorous learning environment for high school students and adult learners that:
- Ensures both student academic success and career technical education mastery, as well as promotes enthusiasm for lifelong learning.
- Prepares students for post-secondary education, including apprenticeships and immediate productive employment.
- Engages regional, state, national and international employers, and industries in a vibrant collaboration to respond to current, emerging and changing global workforce needs and expectations.
- Pursues and participates in global partnerships that provide CTECS students with international exposure and experience.
Discover the Opportunity to:
- Work in a school cafeteria in a high school environment. The Connecticut Technical Education and Career System serves approximately 11,200 full-time high school students.
- Collaborate with highly skilled and experienced cooks.
- Positively impact students lives in your daily interactions.
- Utilize your skills and experience to bring fantastic food offerings to students every day.
Salary Note: The entry level rate for this class will be ten (10%) percent below Step 1 of the salary grade. Upon completion of the initial working test period the incumbent’s salary will be adjusted to the TC or FM pay plan, Step 1 of the salary grade for this class.
Benefits: We participate in a competitive benefits package that includes comprehensive healthcare coverage, retirement plan options, and paid time off! We also encourage a healthy work-life balance to all employees.
Watch the video below to see what it's like to be a CT employee!
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
Please select the location(s) listed above on your application. Failure to indicate the location(s) listed above may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location. Ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
All State employees shall follow the guidelines as listed in Executive Orders 13F (3a) and 13G (3a) .
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
This class is accountable for performing a full range of basic tasks in the preparation and cooking of food.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs a variety of basic tasks in preparing soups, salads, meats, vegetables, desserts, beverages, nourishments, etc.; cleans, washes, polishes pots, pans, dishes, silverware, kitchen equipment, floors, walls, etc.; operates kitchen machines and equipment; may participate in serving food and packing food for delivery; may receive training in the preparation of food on a large scale; may prepare food in the absence of the cook; assists with the receiving and storage of food; may assist in the preparation of production records; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Some knowledge of simple food preparation; some knowledge of liquid and dry weights and measures; some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; ability to follow instructions and learn routines; some mathematical ability.
Any experience and training which would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
- Experience in the preparation and serving of complete daily meals in a large scale (500 meals per day) institutional or commercial setting such as a hospital, residential school, extended care facility, rest home, full service restaurant, military mess hall, large catering business or other similar environment.
- Experience using institutional food service equipment.
- Experience following basic food safety and sanitation guidelines and procedures.
- Experience using basic computer software systems ( Microsoft Word, Excel, Adobe, email).
Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
Incumbents must be free from communicable diseases.
A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to risk of injury from equipment and utensils used in the kitchen and from patients/clients.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.