Are you an experienced IT professional with a passion for application development?
If so, we have a unique opportunity for you!
The State of Connecticut
, Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP
) is charged with developing policies and programs to mitigate and adapt to the impacts of climate change, conserve, improve and protect Connecticut's natural resources and environment, and provide equitable access to broadband and affordable, clean and reliable energy to the people and businesses of the state.
The agency is also committed to playing a positive role in rebuilding Connecticut's economy and creating jobs - and to fostering a sustainable, equitable and prosperous economic future.
DEEP is currently seeking a Senior Developer / Technical Architect (Information Technology Analyst 3
) to join our team! This position will be located at DEEP Headquarters at 79 Elm Street, Hartford, CT, across from historic Bushnell Park.
This position will be 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday, from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M., with the opportunity for a flexible schedule.
As a Senior Developer / Technical Architect, you will discover the opportunity to:
- Work with IT and department leadership to influence the architecture and technical roadmap for DEEP's applications;
- Leverage your past experiences and knowledge to help develop technical best practices;
- Serve as a mentor and technical leader for less experienced IT staff and vendor resources;
- Help establish a stronger dev-ops discipline for in-house applications;
- Expand your skillsets and knowledge as a member of a newly formed 600+ person strong IT organization.
What we can offer you:
State of Connecticut employees participate in a competitive benefits plan
- Excellent health and dental coverage;
- A generous retirement plan;
- Paid time off;
- A healthy work - life balance!
Learn more about how you can make an impact!
During the Application Process:
Please ensure that your application is complete and you have included a resume within the "Resume Tab" of your application prior to submission. You will be unable to make revisions once you officially submit your application to the State of Connecticut.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the minimum qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date, unless otherwise specified.
Applicants who submit and subsequently withdraw their application will not be able to resubmit for the same posting.
The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
Throughout the Recruitment:
All State employees shall follow the guidelines as listed in
Executive Orders 13F (3a)
and 13G (3a) .
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
During the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation supporting their qualification(s). These documents may include: cover letter, performance reviews, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc. at the discretion of the agency.
Applicants invited to the interview will be requested to supply the following:
- Three (3) professional references with contact information.
Current State Employees:
- Last two (2) performance appraisals.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Incumbents recommended for hire will be subject to a criminal background check.
Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Tyler Cashman at Tyler.Cashman@ct.gov
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency Information Technology (IT) environment, this class is accountable for performing the most complex and technical support work and/or acting as a working supervisor of Information Technology Analysts engaged in information systems development or technical support.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
This Information Technology Analyst 3 (Senior
Developer / Technical Architect) position supports the Applications Development
team with primary responsibilities including:
• Making high level decisions on software design and development that can be
backed up with demonstrated design principals
• Help drive the organizations long term technical architecture roadmap
• Own the development of high-level system architectures in support of the
organizations long term technical objectives
• Assisting with business requirements analysis to identify functional and
nonfunctional application requirements
• Applying interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills to participate
in application design sessions and assist with maintaining system design
• Designing solutions to business and technical problems using logic and
• Developing, maintaining, and troubleshooting production applications written
in Java / .NET
• Working in a version-controlled development environment
• Coordinate and support application deployments
• Help identify and implement best practices for application development based
on accepted industry standards and/or personal experiences. Examples include
standards for application documentation, API service documentation, automated
testing and/or deployments, technical architecture diagrams, etc.
For a full list of duties related to this job classification, please click here
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of principles and techniques of systems analysis, design, development, and computer programming; considerable knowledge of principles of information systems; considerable knowledge of principles and theories of business and planning functions; considerable knowledge of programming languages; considerable knowledge of project management principles and techniques; considerable knowledge of principles, problems and techniques of data processing and data communication operations; considerable knowledge of data processing and data communications equipment and diagnostic tools; considerable knowledge of methods and procedures used to conduct detailed analysis and design of computer systems; considerable knowledge of principles of complex computer operating systems; knowledge of principles and techniques of business information systems re-engineering; knowledge of network protocols and architecture; knowledge of practices and issues of systems security and disaster recovery; knowledge of applications systems development principles and techniques; knowledge of principles and practices of data base management; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; considerable problem solving skills; considerable technical problem solving skills; considerable analytical skills; considerable ability to prepare correspondence, manuals, reports and documentation; considerable ability to analyze and resolve operational and communications problems; considerable ability to analyze and debug complex software programs; considerable ability to identify, analyze and resolve complex business and technical problems; some supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Seven (7) years of experience in information technology (IT) operations, programming, systems/software development or another IT related field.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
(1) year of the General Experience must have been at the full professional
working level with responsibility for performing a full range of complex
technical support functions in such areas as: assisting in the design,
implementation and management of a major communications network; providing
technical and administrative support for a wide area network (WAN) or
mini-computer system; assisting in the installation and maintenance of major
sub-systems or installing and maintaining other host and/or network software; participating
in the design and development of system applications; serving as a project
coordinator responsible for coordinating the design, development, programming
and implementation of moderately complex information systems projects; performing
any closely related complex technical support function.
NOTE: For state employees this is
interpreted at the level of Information Technology Analyst 2.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training in management information systems, computer science or information technology related area may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equaling six (6) months of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in management information systems, computer science or electrical engineering may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
The preferred candidate will possess:
- Experience communicating technical concepts to non-technical audiences;
- Experience working collaboratively in a team environment;
- Experience in application design and deployment;
- Experience in Microsoft architecture and programming including ASP.Net, ASP.Net Core, and MVC;
- Experience and/or training in Java application development;
- Experience deploying and configuring WebSphere Application Server (WAS);
- Experience serving as the technical lead on complex IT initiatives.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.