Are you looking to advance your career within the Department of Transportation?
If so, we encourage you to apply today!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Transportation (DOT) invites its qualified agency employees to apply for the position of Transportation Maintainer 3 (Vactor Driver). This position is located in the Farmington Maintenance Facility. Eligible candidates will be required to be interviewed, prior to being eligible for the skill evaluation practicum.
Who We Are: The mission of the Connecticut Department of Transportation is to provide a safe and efficient intermodal transportation network that improves the quality of life and promotes economic vitality for the State and the region.
- 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- 37.5 hours per week
- Applicants must hold a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) (A or B), with the "tank endorsement," and valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC). These must be noted in the "Licenses and Professional Certifications" section of the application for consideration.
- Applicants invited to interview will be required to produce a copy of these current valid licenses/certifications as well as their Master Application at the time of interview, or they will be immediately disqualified.
- Applicants must be willing to accept emergency overtime duties, including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed; mandatory winter overtime from November 1 through April 30.
- Applicants will be required to have a 20-mile residency from the posted job location.
- Various storm events will require employees to stay at work for the duration of the storm; which at times could be up to a period of several days, to include holidays and weekends.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of Connecticut employee of the Department of Transportation, who has permanent state status*, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
Please ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. Applicants will be unable to make revisions once their application is submitted into the JobAps system.
NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to answer additional questions and/or submit additional documentation which supports their qualifications for this position. These documents may include cover letters, college transcripts, verification of degree completion, proof of licensure, performance appraisals, employment/supervisor references, etc.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
The immediate vacancy is listed above, however applications to this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies in this job classification.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable for performing a variety of skilled tasks at less than the journeyman level in the construction, maintenance and repair of state roadsides, roadways, bridges, airports and other departmental facilities; operates and maintains the more complex mechanical equipment; works as a skilled mechanic at less than the journeyman level in the repair of mechanical equipment.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
The following is a listing of examples of trucks, equipment, tasks or related duties, the operating, maintaining or performing of which are considered to be the responsibilities and duties of positions in this class:
- Evaluation platform
- Line marking machine (10 wheel, barrel type)
- Concrete saws
- Core drills
- 12-22 foot flail mower (tractor)
- Four wheel drive airport snow fighter
- Front end loaders
- Hand operated pavement marking machine
- Mechanical catch basin cleaning
- Power Driven Rollers
- Power pickup sweepers
- Shotcrete, gunite machines
- Tilt bed trailers
- Post pounder (driver only)
- Vactor (driver only)
- Track-munted skid steer with various attachments including but not limited to standard bucket; grapple bucket; mower; snow blower; sweeper; dozer blade.
- Drainage pipe setting
- Driver of wing truck with plows attached during snow and ice truck operations
- Performance skilled in one or more of the following areas or trade: construction, maintenance, mechanical repair, electrical, carpentry, masonry, welding, automotive and heavy equipment, mechanical repair, plumbing and painting.
- Test boring
- Skilled tree climber
- Wildlife hazard control-Radio monitoring communication-Escort vendors, contractors, etc. in secure areas (State owned airports only)
- Inspector of VIP Projects
- District Office Radio Operator (backup)
- Service Patrol
- Sign erector (general)
- Pothole patcher operator
- May supervisor a Materials Management Stockroom
- May assist a Transportation Maintenance Manager in preparing and checking reports.
- In addition to other duties incumbents may be required to receive training in, stand by for the respond to fire and/or crash emergency situations at State-owned airports; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of construction, maintenance and repair techniques of roadsides, roadways, bridges or airports; knowledge of processes and materials used in construction and maintenance trades; oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to use and make ordinary repairs to more complex mechanical equipment; ability to operate equipment as listed on attached Addendum; ability to keep shop records and prepare reports; ability to use, set up and maintain ordinary bench and other shop machine tools and equipment; ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience in the construction, maintenance and repair of roadsides, roadways, bridges or airports, in work involving the operation and care of mechanical equipment, or in work in one of the recognized maintenance trades.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of the subject requirements in one of the maintenance trades may be substituted for the General Experience.
The preferred candidate will have:
- Experience as a Vactor driver in order to participate in the skills evaluations practicum
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
2. Incumbent in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform theduties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class are exposed to extremes of weather conditions, to frequent lifting of heavy weights, to highly dangerous road and traffic conditions, including exposure to heights when working on bridges, to poison ivy, insect bites and allergy irritants during summer months, and to loud and potentially dangerous machinery.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.