The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) invites qualified agency employees to apply for the position of Transportation Maintainer 3 (Over-the-Fence Mower Operator) opportunity in the Putnam Maintenance Facility.
- This position is Full-time, 37.5 hours per week;
- The work hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m;
- Eligible candidates will be required to participate in a skill evaluation practicum, in order to evaluate and determine whether or not candidates have the required skills and qualifications to perform the duties of the position.
- Candidates must indicate they hold a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) (A or B), with the "tank endorsement," a valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC) in order to apply.
- Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept emergency overtime duties, including snow and ice removal, whenever services are needed; mandatory winter overtime from November 1 through April 30.
- Incumbents must meet the 20-mile residency requirement from the posted job location
- Various storm events will require employees to stay at work for the duration of the storm; which at times could be up to a period of several days, to include holidays and weekends.
- Applicants invited to interview will be required to produce a copy of their current valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A or B, reflecting the "tank endorsement" and valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC) at the time of interview.
- The agency will conduct a practicum for the Transportation Maintainer 3 (Over-the-Fence-Mower Operator) position, to evaluate and determine whether or not applicant(s) have the skills and qualifications to perform the duties of this position. Practicums shall be conducted pursuant to the Department of Transportation Administrative Guidelines for Conducting Practicums and will be part of the interview process.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee of the Department of Transportation, who has permanent state status*, hold a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A or B with Tank Endorsement, possess a valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC), and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time equivalent).
Applicants must ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. Applicants will be unable to make revisions once their application is submitted into the JobAps system. Applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. The candidate pool resulting from this posting may be used to fill future vacancies that occur in District 2, Canterbury Maintenance Facility. Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to answer additional questions and/or submit additional documentation which supports their qualifications for this position. These documents may include; cover letters, college transcripts, verification of degree completion, proof of licensure, performance appraisals, employment/supervisor references, etc.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Nasreen Mustafa at email@example.com.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable for performing a variety of skilled tasks at less than the journeyman level in the construction, maintenance and repair of state roadsides, roadways, bridges, airports and other departmental facilities; operates and maintains the more complex mechanical equipment; works as a skilled mechanic at less than the journeyman level in the repair of mechanical equipment.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
The following is a listing of examples of trucks, equipment, tasks or related duties, the operating, maintaining or performing of which are considered to be the responsibilities and duties of positions in this class:
- Elevation platform
- Line marking machine (10 wheel, barrel type)
- Concrete saws
- Core drills
- 12-22 foot flail mower (tractor)
- four wheel drive airport snow fighter
- Front end loaders
- Hand operated pavement marking machine
- Mechanical catch basin cleaning
- Power Driven Rollers
- Power pickup sweepers
- Shotcrete, gunite machines
- Tilt Bed Trailers
- Post Pounder (driver only)
- Vactor (driver only)
- Track-mounted skid steer with various attachments including but not limited to: standard bucket, grapple bucket, mower, snow blower, sweeper, dozer blade
- Drainage pipe setting
- Driver of wing truck with plows attached during snow and ice truck operations
- Performing skilled tasks in one or more of the following areas or trades: construction, maintenance, mechanical repair, electrical, carpentry, masonry, welding, automotive and heavy equipment mechanical repair, plumbing and painting.
- Test boring
- Inspector of VIP projects
- District Office Radio Operator (backup)
- Service patrol
- Sign erector (general)
- Pothole patcher operator
- May supervise a Materials Management Stockroom
- In addition to other duties, may assist a Transportation Maintenance Manager in preparing and checking reports
- Wildlife hazard control - Radio monitoring and communication - Escort vendors, contractors, etc. in secure areas (State owned airports only)
In addition to other duties incumbents in this class may be required to receive training in, stand by for and respond to fire and/or crash emergency situations at State-owned airports; performs related duties as required.
See attached addendum.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of construction, maintenance and repair techniques of roadsides, roadways, bridges or airports; knowledge of processes and materials used in construction and maintenance trades; oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to use and make ordinary repairs to more complex mechanical equipment; ability to operate equipment as listed on attached Addendum; ability to keep shop records and prepare reports; ability to use, set up and maintain ordinary bench and other shop machine tools and equipment; ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience in the construction, maintenance and repair of roadsides, roadways, bridges or airports, in work involving the operation and care of mechanical equipment, or in work in one of the recognized maintenance trades.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of the subject requirements in one of the maintenance trades may be substituted for the General Experience.
The preferred candidates will possess:
- Experience operating and maintaining the Department's Over the Fence Mower (OTF)
- Experience pre-tripping the OTF Mower and demonstrating those abilities through the use of the Agency's Practicum.
- Experience with minor equipment repairs so as to keep the equipment operable until it is repaired by the Repair unit.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
2. Incumbent in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform theduties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class are exposed to extremes of weather conditions, to frequent lifting of heavy weights, to highly dangerous road and traffic conditions, including exposure to heights when working on bridges, to poison ivy, insect bites and allergy irritants during summer months, and to loud and potentially dangerous machinery.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.