The State of Connecticut, Department of Public Health (DPH) is hiring! We are seeking a qualified individual for the position of Microbiologist 2 to work at the State Public Health Laboratory. Located in Rocky Hill, CT, the State Public Health Laboratory offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. We provide an employment program designed to ensure work/life balance.
The Environmental Microbiology laboratory performs testing on milk and dairy products, water, food and environmental samples. The safe use and integrity of these products sold in the State of Connecticut is confirmed by chemical and bacteriological testing performed by FDA certified Microbiologists in the Environmental Microbiology Laboratory.
Within the Department of Public Health, Laboratory Division, this Microbiologist 2 will work under the Environmental Microbiology Supervisor performing a wide range of technical laboratory duties in the food, dairy and water testing sections of the laboratory. This position is responsible for performing complex technical procedures and specialized techniques. The duties include:
- Performing microbiological testing procedures on food products for surveillance, special studies, and foodborne disease outbreak investigations
- Testing includes enrichments, culturing, microscopy, and molecular methods such as Polymerase Chain reaction (PCR) for the detection and confirmation of bacterial pathogens in food
- Bacterial pathogens to be detected and confirmed include Listeria monocytogenes, Salmonella sp., Escherichia coli (E. coli) O157:H7, and Non-O157 Shiga toxin producing E. coli (STEC), Bacillus cereus, Staphylococcal aureus, Shigella sp., Vibrio sp., and Campylobacter sp.
The Mission of the Department of Public Health (DPH) is to protect and improve the health and safety of the people of Connecticut by assuring the conditions in which people can be healthy, preventing disease, injury, and disability, and promoting the equal enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of health, which is a human right and a priority of the state.
DPH accomplishes this through the implementation of its Strategic Plan which outlines the actions that DPH is taking to accomplish its Mission.
Are you interested in joining our team as a Microbiologist 2? We encourage you to apply today! This position is located in Rocky Hill, CT. The work schedule for this position is typically Monday - Friday, 35 hours per week.
We offer a competitive benefits package, excellent health care, generous leave policies, retirement plan, and more! We also encourage a healthy work-life balance to all employees!
The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules. In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience most closely meet the preferred requirements of the position. Applicants invited to interview may be required to submit additional documentation, which supports their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: performance reviews, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
Please Note: You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
Applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies.
Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Chelsea Moore at Chelsea.Moore@ct.gov
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Departments of Agriculture and Public Health this class is accountable for performing the more difficult and complex biochemical, microbiological or molecular examinations and analyses of a variety of specimens and substances.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs routine as well as new and unusual or difficult examinations and analyses utilizing sophisticated instrumentation; performs microbiological and biochemical tests on human and animal specimens to identify bacteriological agents or locate evidence indicative of presence or absence of communicable diseases; makes microscopic, cultural, serological and other examinations of a variety of human specimens; performs bacteriological and biochemical analyses of water, wastewater, sewage effluent and sludge, seawater, seafood, dairy products and other foods; performs microbiological and other biochemical assays for inborn errors of metabolism; performs DNA amplification tests to detect various viral and bacterial agents; provides testing such as culture, antigen detect assays, and pulsed-field gel electrophoresis to support investigations of food and water borne outbreaks of disease; prepares reagents; utilizes universal laboratory precautions; utilizes computers to operate and maintain instrumentation, quality assurance data and test results; prepares reports and maintains records of investigations; may testify in court; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of current theories, principles and practices of biomedical sciences and microbiological disciplines including bacteriology, parasitology, virology and others as they relate to public health; considerable knowledge of current laboratory methods, equipment, instrumentation and material; knowledge of quality assurance and quality control policies and procedures; knowledge of common statistical techniques and ability to make sophisticated calculations; knowledge of universal laboratory precautions; knowledge of basic laboratory hazards and safety; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to perform routine and advanced biomedical, microbiological and biochemical examinations; ability to interpret test results in the context of patient history and epidemiology of disease or agent; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Six (6) years of experience in a public health or clinical laboratory involving scientific work in the field of microbiology, biochemistry or molecular biology.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been at the junior working level in the field of microbiology. For state employees this is interpreted at the level of Microbiologist 1.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training in the natural sciences may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in the natural sciences may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Experience with Biosafety Level 2 and Biosafety Level 3 laboratory practices
- Experience with microbiological and molecular techniques for the detection and Identification of foodborne pathogens such as Salmonella, Campylobacter, E. coli O15:H7 and Listeria monocytogenes in different food matrices
- Experience with Environmental Microbiology testing of food, water and dairy samples
- Experience with foodborne disease outbreak investigations
- Experience with ISO/IEC 17025:2017
- Experience with prioritization of workflow when presented with multiple demands and time critical activities
- Experience with Microsoft Office and laboratory information management systems such as HORIZON
1. Incumbents in this class must be willing to periodically undergo tests and/or immunizations for communicable diseases.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to have specific education and/or experience to meet various certification and/or licensing requirements.
3. Incumbents may be required to undergo and successfully complete security background checks.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to communicable diseases and hazardous substances.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.