Are you ready to gain skills, knowledge, and experience that will help you develop and have a rewarding and successful career? If so, we have an exciting opportunity for you!
The State of Connecticut
, Department of Labor
(DOL) has opportunities for Connecticut Careers Trainee
(CCT), Target Class-Labor Department Community Services Representative
for the Hartford American Job Center located in Hartford, CT. These positions receive training in introductory governmental work for the development of skills and knowledge in order to qualify for advancement to the target class. The CCT performs a variety of increasingly difficult duties as skills are acquired during the course of the training period. The duration of the training program varies between one and three years, and is determined by length of target class experience and training. These positions are full-time, 40 hours, Monday through Friday.
The American Job Center
(AJC) system is a partnership of organizations that provide workforce assistance to job seekers and employers. This collaboration of state, regional, and local organizations works as a system to help prepare and train the workforce and offer services that help businesses and industry find talent. We offer a full complement of employment services, including career centers, recruitments, workshops and employment services for veterans. We can also assist with unemployment insurance questions.
- Conduct UI Re-Employment Services and Eligibility Assessment Program (RESEA) interviews with claimants 1 on 1.
- Review claimant's efforts to find work and advise claimants about the services available in the AJC to assist in their return to the workforce.
- Identify potential UI eligibility issues.
Provide labor market and career information that addresses claimant's specific needs.
Who We Are:
At DOL, we are committed to protecting and promoting the interests of Connecticut workers. In order to accomplish this in an ever-changing environment, we assist workers and employers to become competitive in the global economy. We take a comprehensive approach to meeting the needs of workers and employers, and the other agencies that serve them. We ensure the supply of high-quality integrated services that serve the needs of our customers.
We participate in a competitive benefits
plan that includes healthcare coverage, a retirement plan, as well as paid time off!
These positions are non-competitive. Open to the public.
Applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
Candidates selected for hire must provide the following at the time of hire: Copy of Official College Transcript.
Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Jennifer Neumann at Jennifer.Neumann@ct.gov
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for mastering the skills necessary to satisfactorily complete the training program for a professional position.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Register customers in Wagner-Peyser via the state's workforce development business system, CTHires, and provide job matching assistance.
- Enter activities and messages regarding services provided.
- Provide employment services (both virtually and in-person) to job seekers in the Hartford American Job Center (AJC)/North Central region on a rotating basis by providing job search assistance, assisting with the completion of online job applications, critiquing & guidance on résumés and advising on cover letters and thank you letters.
- Facilitate employment readiness workshops to job seekers on topics such as Fundamentals of Résumé Writing, Interviewing Strategies & Techniques and Successful Job Search Strategies.
- Assist UI customers with filing claims, address changes, weekly claim assistance and provide general UI information/assistance.
- Review the rules of UI eligibility with customers and all the various services and resources available in the North Central region's Workforce Development system to help customer return to work sooner, before UI benefits exhaust.
- Determine eligibility for Dislocated Worker status based on Agency guidelines and certify job seekers as dislocated workers.
- Perform other related duties, which can be viewed here.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Oral and written communication skills; ability to acquire knowledge and skills required for the target classification; ability to understand, evaluate and solve problems by exercising judgement and logic; ability to read, interpret and understand written material; ability to perform basic arithmetical computations; ability to interpret charts, graphs and tables; learning and reasoning ability; ability to establish and maintain cooperative relations with superiors, associates and general public; ability to utilize computer software.
Possession of a Bachelor's or Master's degree.
If the target job classification has a Substitution Allowed that requires the Bachelor's or Master's degree to be in a specific area(s), then these specific degree areas are required for appointment to the Connecticut Career Trainee classification.
Candidates cannot be appointed until all degree requirements are complete.
The preferred candidate will have:
- Experience working in a high volume/production environment.
- Experience completing multiple duties simultaneously within specific deadlines.
- Experience using Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Experience providing customer service and interacting with people from various backgrounds.
- Experience using virtual platforms (such as Microsoft Teams, Zoom, etc.) to participate in meetings, and provide training, and collaborate on documents.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.