Are you interested in supporting an agency who strives to help families and communities?
Are you bilingual in Spanish and English?
If so, we want you to join our team!
We are currently recruiting for an Office Assistant within our Medicaid Operations Unit, based out of our East Hartford, CT location. This position is full-time, 1st shift, 40 hours weekly. The hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. However, must be flexible in order to meet the needs of the agency. May be expected to travel.
We are eagerly seeking a highly motivated and standout colleague to perform the following duties:
- Provide general information and referral services in response to citizen requests for assistance in completing Medicaid applications.
- Assisting individuals and families to develop independence in completing necessary Medicaid initial and redetermination paperwork.
- Respond to inquiries from other work units or departments/agencies; apply agency policies and state statutes and regulations in determining case status or responding to requests for procedural assistance.
- May lead lower level employees in carrying out assigned clerical functions.
- Maintain calendars of due dates and initiate recurring work or special clerical projects accordingly.
- Process a variety of documents in determining routine case status; exercise discretion in choosing appropriate follow through procedures within defined guidelines, including assembling and reviewing incoming materials for accuracy, completeness and conformance to established guidelines and agency policy and procedures.
- Verify information through use of internal resources and contacts with sender and other work units, soliciting additional information as required by phone or form letter.
- Use multiple types of automated equipment to perform job functions; perform related duties as required.
Our mission is to partner with the individuals we support and their families, to support lifelong planning and to join with others to create and promote meaningful opportunities for individuals to fully participate as valued members of their communities.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee, who has permanent state status* and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
Please ensure that your application is complete and you have included your resume in the “Resume Tab” of the application as you will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application into the JobAps system. We encourage all applicants to specify how they meet the minimum qualifications in this job posting on the application. At any point later in the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation supporting their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include performance reviews, attendance, supervisory references, college transcripts, etc. You do not have to attach these documents with application submission.
Applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies. Please note that not all applicants will be contacted for interview and are encouraged to apply for future postings.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
If you require an accommodation to participate fully and fairly under the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), please contact Renee LaBarge, DDS EEO Director at 860-418-6022 or Renee.LaBarge@ct.gov.
Should you have questions pertaining to this announcement, please contact Jasmyn Raymond at Jasmyn.Raymond@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for performing a full range of general clerical functions or for carrying out responsibility for the flow and completion of clerical work in an assigned area.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
1. TYPING: Types a variety of materials in relation to other duties or as assigned; enters and retrieves data on personal computers and computer terminals.
2. FILING: Sets up and maintains office procedures, filing and indexing systems and forms for own use.
3. CORRESPONDENCE: Composes routine correspondence.
4. REPORT WRITING: Compiles and generates recurrent technical, statistical or financial reports requiring judgment in the selection and presentation of data (format).
5. INTERPERSONAL: Provides general information and referral services in response to citizen complaints or questions regarding an agency's services or authority; responds to inquiries from other work units or departments/agencies; applies agency policies and state statutes and regulations in determining case status or responding to requests for procedural assistance; may lead lower level employees in carrying out assigned clerical functions.
6. PROCESSING: Maintains calendars of due dates and initiates recurring work or special clerical projects accordingly; processes a variety of documents in determining routine case status; exercises discretion in choosing appropriate follow through procedures within defined guidelines including assembling and reviewing incoming materials for accuracy, completeness and conformance to established guidelines and agency policy and procedures, verifying information through use of internal resources and contacts with sender and other work units and soliciting additional information as required by phone or form letter; processes purchase requisitions/purchase orders for subsequent action; prepares payment lists and billing invoices; receives shipments of materials and matches/verifies shipment or billing invoices against original purchase orders; maintains billing control cards, files, journals or account ledgers by posting credits, expenditures, interest, etc.; figures payments, costs, discounts and adjustments using prescribed methods and formulas; receives monies in various forms such as cash, checks and money orders and prepares for deposit; maintains inventory and orders supplies; uses a variety of automated equipment to perform job functions; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of office systems and procedures including proper telephone usage and filing; oral and written communication skills; skill in performing arithmetical computations; basic interpersonal skills; ability to perform a full range of clerical tasks; ability to operate office equipment which includes personal computers, computer terminals and other electronic automated equipment; ability to operate office suite software; ability to schedule and prioritize workflow; ability to read and interpret complex instructions.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of general clerical work experience.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling six (6) months of experience.
Preference will be given to candidates who:
- Possess computer experience with Microsoft Suite of programs specifically Excel, Access, Word and Outlook
- Experience working with the public
- Experience supporting others with the completion of eligibility applications
- Spanish speaking
- Ability to work independently with good problem-solving skills and able to adapt to changing work priorities and compressed due dates
- Organization skills
Persons having responsibility for supervising or observing the behavior of inmates or custodial individuals will be required to possess a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certification by the time of permanent appointment.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.