The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) invites its qualified agency employees to apply for the position of Transportation Maintenance Crew Leader (Signs and Markings). The position is located in the North Haven Maintenance Facility, Signs and Markings. Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed; mandatory winter overtime from November 1 through April 30
- Full-time position
- 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., 37.50 hours per week.
Applicants invited to interview will be requested to supply a copy of their Commercial Driver's License (CDL), Class A or B, with Tank Endorsement, valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC), and thoroughly completed Connecticut Department of Transportation Commercial Driver Supplement (CTDOT-CDL-1). Candidates who are unable to produce the required documents at the time of interview will be immediately disqualified.
In order to be considered for this job posting, you must be a current Department of Transportation employee, who has permanent status, and *meet the Minimum and Preferred Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
* For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full time equivalent).
Ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. Applicants will be unable to make revisions once their application is submitted into the JobAps system. Applicants who submit and subsequently withdraw their application will not be able to resubmit for the same posting.
NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to answer additional questions and/or submit additional documentation, which supports their qualifications for this position. These documents may include; cover letters, college transcripts, verification of degree completion, proof of licensure, performance appraisals, employment/supervisor references, etc.
The candidate pool resulting from this posting may be used to fill Transportation Maintenance Crew Leader (Signs and Marking) vacancies that occur in the North Haven Repair facility in the next twelve (12) months. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees, which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Derrick Seldon, II: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable for acting as a working supervisor for an assigned group of Transportation Maintainers and/or Qualified Craft Workers engaged in an area of transportation maintenance or closely related activities.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Plans crew workflow and determines priorities; schedules, assigns, oversees, and reviews work; establishes and maintains crew procedures; provides staff training and assistance; conducts or assists in conducting performance evaluations; acts as liaison with operating units, agencies, and outside officials regarding unit policies and procedures; may make recommendations on policies or standards; may prepare reports and correspondence; requisitions materials and equipment appropriate to the various jobs; participates in performing the duties of the crew; may do preliminary site inspection of assigned jobs; may be required to stand by for and respond to fire and/or crash emergency situations at State-owned airports; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of materials, equipment and approved methods for highway pavement markings; knowledge of coordinating center line markings with pavement surface treatment including the mixing of paints and care of painting equipment; knowledge of the proper placement and maintenance of all types of highway signs; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to utilize computer software; some supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of skilled experience in the installation, maintenance and replacement of pavement markings and signs.
Note: For State Employees the General Experience will be interpreted at the level of Transportation Maintainer 3.
1. Incumbents in this class will be required to accept assignment to emergency duties including snow and ice removal as required.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class are exposed to extremes of weather conditions, to frequent lifting of heavy weights, to highly dangerous road and traffic conditions, including exposure to heights when working on bridges, to poison ivy, insect bites and allergy irritants during summer months, and to loud and potentially dangerous machinery.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.