Do you enjoy designing and implementing information systems all while helping to improve public safety throughout Connecticut?
The State of Connecticut is seeking a full-time, detail-oriented, Information Technology Analyst 3 that is passionate about Java application development. The ideal candidate will be a seasoned Java application developer, with additional experience in SQL, web applications and SharePoint development.
This is an opportunity to join the Information Technology (IT) team at the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection (DESPP), in the IT Applications Unit. DESPP is centrally located at 1111 Country Club Road, Middletown, CT, right off of I-91 and offers free parking.
This position is a 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday work schedule and may be eligible for Telework. A competitive benefits package is offered which includes healthcare coverage, wellness programs and paid time off.
Candidate selected for an interview must provide the following at the time of interview:
- Two (2) most recent performance evaluations
- Cover letter
- Completed CT-HR-13
- Two (2) letters of professional reference from a current and/or previous supervisor
- Cover Letter
- Completed CT-HR-13
Candidates who have been selected for employment with the Department of Emergency Services & Public Protection are subject to a detailed background investigation, including a fingerprint supported state and federal criminal history record check along with reference checks. Selection for employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion of the background investigation.
Click here CT-HR-13 to complete the Criminal Convictions addendum. The CT-HR-13 can also be found on the DAS website http://portal.ct.gov/das by typing in "CT-HR-13" into the "Search Department of Administrative Services" search field. Also considered in this selection process: Any pending or disciplinary history within the past 2 years and review of attendance records. Failure to provide the required documents listed above or submit your application accurately and on time, will eliminate you from the recruitment process.
Should you have questions pertaining to the recruitment, please contact Lucy Manente at Lucy.Manente@ct.gov or 860-685-8200.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency Information Technology (IT) environment, this class is accountable for performing the most complex and technical support work and/or acting as a working supervisor of Information Technology Analysts engaged in information systems development or technical support.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Software Development: Configures and installs host-based application packages; analyzes upgrades for complex applications to determine functionality and necessary software customization; writes program specifications and systems specifications; designs forms, screens and reports; performs related duties as required.
Database Administration: Provides advanced level database support and troubleshooting; designs, installs, tunes and maintains integrity of major host-based database; leads integration efforts, transitioning applications to new technology; performs related duties as required.
Main Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Gather business and technical requirements, design, develop, support and administer Java applications to increase the agency’s portfolio of e-Government solutions
- Customize and provide technical support for new, off-the-shelf software packages
- Gather business and technical requirements, design, develop, support and administer various SQL and Access database systems, including systems containing sensitive and/or confidential law enforcement data
- Provide DBA support including migrating on-prem hosted solutions to the cloud
- Serve as agency focal point for SQL database maintenance (including server backups)
- Maintain current application portfolio (including system interface development and maintenance)
- Automate statewide Family Violence data submission using XML
- Migrate hundreds of MS Access databases to SQL Server for additional security, reliability and functionality
- Import and format statewide traffic stop data from CAD/RMS system, as needed, and collaborate with agency partners in support of the department’s Racial Profiling Prevention Program
- Assist webmaster with agency Internet and Intranet site design and administration
- Collaborate with agency IT staff on updating and maintaining DESPP’s Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Plans and other technical documentation
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of principles and techniques of systems analysis, design, development, and computer programming; considerable knowledge of principles of information systems; considerable knowledge of principles and theories of business and planning functions; considerable knowledge of programming languages; considerable knowledge of project management principles and techniques; considerable knowledge of principles, problems and techniques of data processing and data communication operations; considerable knowledge of data processing and data communications equipment and diagnostic tools; considerable knowledge of methods and procedures used to conduct detailed analysis and design of computer systems; considerable knowledge of principles of complex computer operating systems; knowledge of principles and techniques of business information systems re-engineering; knowledge of network protocols and architecture; knowledge of practices and issues of systems security and disaster recovery; knowledge of applications systems development principles and techniques; knowledge of principles and practices of data base management; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; considerable problem solving skills; considerable technical problem solving skills; considerable analytical skills; considerable ability to prepare correspondence, manuals, reports and documentation; considerable ability to analyze and resolve operational and communications problems; considerable ability to analyze and debug complex software programs; considerable ability to identify, analyze and resolve complex business and technical problems; some supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Seven (7) years of experience in information technology (IT) operations, programming, systems/software development or another IT related field.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
(1) year of the General Experience must have been at the full professional
working level with responsibility for performing a full range of complex
technical support functions in such areas as: assisting in the design,
implementation and management of a major communications network; providing
technical and administrative support for a wide area network (WAN) or
mini-computer system; assisting in the installation and maintenance of major
sub-systems or installing and maintaining other host and/or network software; participating
in the design and development of system applications; serving as a project
coordinator responsible for coordinating the design, development, programming
and implementation of moderately complex information systems projects; performing
any closely related complex technical support function.
NOTE: For state employees this is
interpreted at the level of Information Technology Analyst 2.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training in management information systems, computer science or information technology related area may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equaling six (6) months of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in management information systems, computer science or electrical engineering may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Experience with SQL and database administration (including migrating MS Access Databases to SQL)
- Experience with Microsoft Azure Government Cloud Services
- Expertise building applications, graphic design, user interface design
- Experience with both Agile and System Development Life Cycle (SDLC) Methodologies
- Experience with SharePoint Development & Administration
- Experience with developing business and functional requirements
- Experience with website design and content management
- Experience with Visual Studio
- Experience with MS Access
- Experience with supporting .NET applications
- Strong customer service focus
- Self-motivated, team player, problem-solver, and lifelong learner
- Ability to perform under considerable pressure and stress during emergency incidents
- Experience with being on-call to support a 24x7x365 statewide emergency services agency
- Experience working in a law enforcement or para-military environment
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.