Research Vessel John Dempsey
Old Lyme, CT
|Date Opened||2/28/2020 2:45:00 PM|
|Salary||$11.00-$14.00 per hour|
|Close Date||3/31/2020 11:59:00 PM|
The State of Connecticut, Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) is charged with conserving, improving and protecting the natural resources and the environment of the state of Connecticut as well as making cheaper, cleaner and more reliable energy available for the people and businesses of the state. The agency is also committed to playing a positive role in rebuilding Connecticut’s economy and creating jobs and to fostering a sustainable and prosperous economic future for the state.
The Research Vessel John Dempsey is the pride of DEEP’s fleet and works with both the Long Island Sound Trawl Survey and the Long Island Sound Water Quality Monitoring Program. There is a current opportunity for a Seasonal Resource Assistant to serve as a Deckhand. One Deckhand is hired each year to assist the captain in both surveys and the maintenance of the vessel. This position provides an opportunity for practical experience in vessel operations and survey techniques.
Although R/V John Dempsey often docks in Milford Harbor for sampling conducted in the central and western portions of the Sound, the R/V John Dempsey is based out of DEEP Marine Headquarters in Old Lyme, CT, and employees would be expected to drive to Old Lyme each workday whether for office work or field work.
Typically, this position is first shift, but hours may vary according to field sampling needs (sampling hours are typically between 6:00am to 6:00pm) and normally Monday through Friday, although occasional weekend hours may be required.
SALARY: Pay rate is $11-14/hr. depending on relevant education and experience. No benefits.
LENGTH OF POSITION: anticipated start date is mid April; anticipated duration is 1030 hours; non-contractual.
Applicants must include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application.
Questions about this position should be directed to: Vessel Captain Tommy Seda, firstname.lastname@example.org .
This position is non-competitive. Open to the public.
Selected candidate must be fluent in English, must be at least 18 years old and must possess and maintain adequate physical flexibility, strength and stamina to perform the duties (must be able to lift & move 50 lbs.) while underway, work with arms overhead while bending and twisting on moving deck of boat, work outside in inclement weather, work outside for extended periods), and work well with others.
Preferred applicants will be able to work full-time for the full six months and have related experience or training.
1. Incumbents in this class who are assigned as supervisors of small recreational units will perform emergency first aid as needed and will be required to obtain and retain a Basic First Aid Certificate.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required for certain positions to meet any of the following:
a. Proof of possession of a valid Motor Vehicle Operator license.
b. Possession of a valid license to apply pesticides.
c. College training in a specific field.
d. Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification may be required by specific State facilities.
3. Incumbents performing lifeguard services must have and retain an American Red Cross (ARC) Lifeguarding Certification (includes CPR for the Professional Rescuer and Basic First Aid). An EMT or MRT certification may be substituted for the CPR and First Aid requirements.
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain adequate physical strength and stamina to perform the duties of the class.
2. Incumbents performing lifeguard services must be able to demonstrate American Red Cross (ARC) waterfront lifeguarding swimming skills.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
The State of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the application of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.