Located in New Britain, CT, Central Connecticut State University (CCSU) is a constituent unit of the Board of Regents for Higher Education (BOR), Connecticut State Colleges and Universities. As one of the State of Connecticut institutions of higher learning, CCSU is a regional, comprehensive public university dedicated to learning in the liberal arts and sciences and to education for the professions. CCSU offers a vibrant learning-centered community dedicated to teaching and to scholarship.
We are accepting applications from candidates who meet the qualifications of a General Trades Worker position. The incumbent in this position is accountable for independently performing a full range of General Trades Worker duties in the Facilities Management Department. This is a full-time, 37.5 hours per week position.
NOTE: The shift and schedule information will be provided to candidates at time of interview. Shift may be on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd and may require weekends. The incumbent in this position will be required to attend all mandatory trainings and/or orientations, which may be on a different shift/schedule to which they are permanently assigned.
The individual in this role must possess and retain a valid driver's license and required to successfully pass a physical examination as well as a thorough background check investigation.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
This class is accountable for performing highly skilled trades duties in various trade areas.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs highly skilled maintenance and/or construction work requiring the application of trade skills, codes, and standard trade practices in a variety of trade areas including but not limited to: electrical, plumbing, carpentry, HVACR, glazing, masonry, painting work, etc; makes estimates of time, personnel, and material required on assigned tasks; keeps necessary records; in smaller trade areas, may be the sole worker running a skilled trade area; performs duties related to the trade or trade areas as required; at State owned airports may be required to stand by for and respond to fire and/or crash emergency situations; may operate and maintain heavy earth moving equipment; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply the standard tools, materials, methods, and practices of a variety of trade areas; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare estimates and keep shop records; some ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Four (4) years of experience in one or more trade areas.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been performing skilled trade functions in one or more trade areas.
Note: For State Employees this is interpreted at or above the level of Skilled Maintainer or Transportation Maintainer 2. Housekeeping, custodial, and food services duties will not be considered as qualifying experience.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of subject requirements in a maintenance trade area may be substituted for two (2) years of the General Experience.
2. Two (2) years of experience as a Qualified Craft Worker Intern may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility, and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to extreme weather conditions and to risk of injury from equipment.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.