The State of Connecticut Department of Developmental Services (DDS) - Central Office - has one (1) current full-time job opportunity for a Fiscal/Administrative Supervisor position in the Payroll Office based in Cheshire, CT.
With the planned centralization of statewide human resources under DAS and the re-organization of Payroll under the DDS’ Fiscal Division, this position will be responsible for the operation of the payroll unit. This position will oversee a complex centralized payroll process of approximately 3000 employees. This position will also work with the DDS Central Office Fiscal Division based on the evolving needs of the agency.
This is a full-time forty (40) hour per week position. The work schedule is Monday through Friday on first shift. However, must be flexible in order to meet the needs of the agency.
This posting is open ONLY to current State employees.
Applicants must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening and must specify their qualifications on their application.
Please note you will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee, who has permanent state status* and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
Incumbents in this class will be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's license.
Incumbents in this class will be required to travel statewide.
This posting MAY require completion of additional referral questions (RQ’s) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. Please regularly check your email for notifications. You must reply by the deadline indicated on the notification or you will be automatically disqualified from consideration.
At any point later in the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: performance reviews, attendance, supervisor references, college transcripts, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Daimar Ramos at Daimar.Ramos@ct.gov or 860-263-2625.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency, facility or institution this class is accountable for supervising staff engaged in a variety of fiscal and administrative functions, with major emphasis on fiscal administration or payroll oversight.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Manage a complex centralized payroll process for approximately 3000 employees. Supervise 3 Payroll Officers and 10 Payroll Clerks. Ensure accurate and timely processing of all regular hours, overtime hours, shift differential, bonus payments, longevity, deductions, etc. Continue the training of several new Payroll Clerks and a recently appointed Payroll Officer. Lead process of transitioning payroll responsibilities to fiscal division. Responsible for various projects and analysis for the Fiscal Division. Will perform other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of principles and practices of public administration with special reference to governmental budget management, governmental accounting, payroll and human resources information; considerable knowledge of relevant agency policies and procedures; considerable knowledge of relevant state and federal laws, statutes and regulations; knowledge of grants and contracts preparation and administration; knowledge of purchasing principles and procedures; knowledge of types, characteristics and sources of supply and market factors of assigned commodities; knowledge of business law as it applies to purchasing contracts and sales; knowledge of human resources and payroll practices and procedures; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; considerable ability in preparation and analysis of financial and statistical reports; ability to understand and apply relevant state and federal laws, statutes and regulations; ability to utilize EDP systems for financial management; supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Eight (8) years of experience in a combination of fiscal/administrative functions (e.g., accounting, payroll, purchasing) at least one (1) of which must be an accounting, budgeting, payroll or human resources function. Descriptions of these fiscal/administrative functions are attached.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been at the professional working level of Fiscal/Administrative Officer, Accountant, Payroll Officer 2 or Human Resources positions functioning directly with payroll.
Note: Connecticut Careers Trainee experience (target Fiscal/Administrative Officer or closely related class) is the professional training level and below the professional working level.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in public administration, business administration or accounting may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
3. For State Employees experience as a Purchasing Services Officer 1 or 2 substitutes for the General and Special Experience on a year for year basis.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a large volume of work and prioritize effectively to achieve results in a set timeframe.
- Demonstrated supervision and training skills and experience.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply relevant state and federal laws, statutes and regulations.
- Successful candidates must have the ability to work independently and demonstrate good problem-solving skills and able to adapt to changing work priorities and compressed deadlines.
- Experience in a combination of fiscal/administrative functions (e.g., accounting, accounts examining, budget management, grants administration, personnel, payroll, purchasing).
- Ability to clearly articulate goals and objectives and effectively engage with a wide variety of constituents at all levels; organized with the ability to multi-task and prioritize between operational and financial management initiatives; ability to provide feedback, information and recommendations to agency heads senior staff.
- Expertise in translating complex concepts and information into simple and straightforward summaries.
- Must be able to communicate clearly, efficiently and amicably.
- Proficiency with complex computations and presentation of data.
- Strong technical ability in Excel and the Microsoft Suite of programs.
- Experience with a variety of CORE-CT modules.
- Knowledge of Human Resources and Payroll practices and procedures.
- Excellent customer services skills.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.