The State of Connecticut
Department of Transportation (DOT
) invites its qualified agency employees to apply for the position of a Secretary 1 available in the Bureau of Engineering and Construction, Office of Construction in District 2 located in Norwich.
This position is full time, 40 hours per week, and is in the NP-3 (Administrative Clerical) bargaining unit. The selected candidate will independently perform a full range of secretarial support functions. For more details see the Example of Duties section below.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current Department of Transportation employee, who has permanent status* and meet the Minimum Qualifications as list on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
"For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time equivalent).
Applicants must include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application. Ensure that your application is completed before submitting it. Applicants will be unable to make revisions once their application is submitted into the Jobaps system. Applicants who submit and subsequently withdraw their application will not be able to resubmit for the same posting.
NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to answer additional questions and/or submit additional documentation which supports their qualifications for this position. These documents may include; cover letters, college transcripts, verification of degree completion, proof of licensure, performance appraisals, employment/supervisor references, etc.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. The candidate pool resulting from this posting may be used to fill future Secretary 1 vacancies that occur in District 2, Engineering & Construction unit, in the next twelve (12) months. Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process Updates will be available through your Jobaps portal account. Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Ann Januszewski at firstname.lastname@example.org
and reference PN#28638.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency, this class is accountable for performing a full range of secretarial support functions.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Incumbents perform a variety of secretarial duties as illustrated in the following areas:
1. TYPING: Using a personal computer or other electronic equipment formats and types a full range of correspondence, reports, bills, drafts, etc. from rough draft, transcription, dictated notes, etc.; proofreads for content; edits using knowledge of grammar, punctuation and spelling.
2. FILING: Designs office filing systems; organizes and maintains files (including confidential files); maintains, updates and reviews reference materials and manuals.
3. CORRESPONDENCE: Composes routine letters/memoranda, etc. (e.g. standard replies and acknowledgement letters) for supervisor's signature.
4. REPORT WRITING: Compiles information from standard sources and prepares data reports (e.g. number of forms processed during the month).
5. INTERPERSONAL: Greets and directs visitors; answers phones and takes messages; answers questions requiring knowledge of terminology, organization, supervisor's responsibilities, etc. (e.g. appropriate referrals, general purpose of the unit).
6. PROCESSING: Scans correspondence; pulls and attaches related materials; reviews, routes and prioritizes mail.
7. PERSONAL SECRETARY: Arranges and coordinates meetings (including space and equipment); writes minutes of meetings, lectures, conferences, etc. from rough draft; takes notes using shorthand, speedwriting or machine transcription prepares expense accounts; makes travel arrangements.
8. OFFICE MANAGEMENT: Maintains an inventory of supplies and equipment; orders supplies when necessary; completes, processes and maintains paperwork for purchasing (e.g. orders, requisitions, invoices, etc.); maintains time and attendance records; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of office systems and procedures; considerable knowledge of proper grammar, punctuation and spelling; knowledge of business communications; some knowledge of business math; interpersonal skills; ability to schedule and prioritize office workflow; ability to operate office equipment which includes personal computers and electronic equipment; ability to operate office suite software; ability to take notes (shorthand, speedwriting or other method acceptable to the supervisor).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years' experience above the routine clerk level in office support or secretarial work.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
College training in the secretarial sciences may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.