|Date Opened||11/26/2019 12:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$44,178.00 - $57,970.00/year|
|Job Type||Open to Statewide Employees|
|Close Date||12/5/2019 11:59:00 PM|
The State of Connecticut, State Department of Education invites applicants to apply for a full-time Secretary I position within The Connecticut Technical Education and Career System. This position is located at O'Brien Technical Education and Career School in Ansonia, CT.
This position will provide clerical support to the Guidance offices in addition to filling a critical liaison role between CTECS and the public. Office management and the ability to communicate, both written and oral, with state agencies, school personnel, students and parents are critical elements of the position. An ability to think creatively, problem-solve, and cultivate and retain relationships of trust are essential qualities. As CTECS undergoes systemic growth and organizational transformation, it is important that this person be able to manage a certain level of ambiguity and change.
This opportunity is located at Emmett O'Brien CTECS in Ansonia and is a 12-month position, 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee, who has permanent state status* and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Nancy Flynn at Nancy.Flynn@ct.gov, (860)713-6659.
Incumbents perform a variety of secretarial duties as illustrated in the following areas:
1. TYPING: Using a personal computer or other electronic equipment formats and types a full range of correspondence, reports, bills, drafts, etc. from rough draft, transcription, dictated notes, etc.; proofreads for content; edits using knowledge of grammar, punctuation and spelling.
2. FILING: Designs office filing systems; organizes and maintains files (including confidential files); maintains, updates and reviews reference materials and manuals.
3. CORRESPONDENCE: Composes routine letters/memoranda, etc. (e.g. standard replies and acknowledgement letters) for supervisor's signature.
4. REPORT WRITING: Compiles information from standard sources and prepares data reports (e.g. number of forms processed during the month).
5. INTERPERSONAL: Greets and directs visitors; answers phones and takes messages; answers questions requiring knowledge of terminology, organization, supervisor's responsibilities, etc. (e.g. appropriate referrals, general purpose of the unit).
6. PROCESSING: Scans correspondence; pulls and attaches related materials; reviews, routes and prioritizes mail.
7. PERSONAL SECRETARY: Arranges and coordinates meetings (including space and equipment); writes minutes of meetings, lectures, conferences, etc. from rough draft; takes notes using shorthand, speedwriting or machine transcription prepares expense accounts; makes travel arrangements.
8. OFFICE MANAGEMENT: Maintains an inventory of supplies and equipment; orders supplies when necessary; completes, processes and maintains paperwork for purchasing (e.g. orders, requisitions, invoices, etc.); maintains time and attendance records; performs related duties as required.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
This position will be filled in accordance with reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
The State of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the application of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.