The State of Connecticut, Department of Children and Families (DCF), invites applicants to apply for a full time, first shift Maintainer position within the Albert J. Solnit North facility.
This position is located at 36 Gardner Street, East Windsor, CT 06088. The work hours are Monday - Friday, 6:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. The incumbent will be responsible for performing a full range of Maintainer duties as assigned by the Building Maintenance Supervisor.
This class is accountable for performing basic tasks of an unskilled nature including building and equipment maintenance (operational and remedial), landscaping and grounds keeping duties; mandatory snow and ice assignment; operation of complex mechanical equipment; vehicle transport; mail deliveries, and custodial duties.
*New state employees start at the minimum of the salary range.
Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Catherine Santiago at Catherine.Santiago@ct.gov, (860) 704-4264.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for performing basic tasks of an unskilled nature (e.g. requiring little prior experience or training; most tasks can be learned quickly on the job) in one or several of the following areas:
- building and equipment maintenance (operational and remedial)
- grounds care
- food services
- operation of trucks of less than five ton capacity
- parking garage
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
See attached addendum.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; ability to follow oral and written instructions; ability to learn policies and procedures; ability to operate, care for and perform minor maintenance on tools and equipment used in daily work; some ability in simple record keeping.
Any experience and training which provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
Strong interpersonal skills and a customer service; oral and written communication skills; ability to follow written and oral instructions; ability to learn policies and procedures; ability to operate, care for, and perform minor maintenance on tools and equipment used in daily work; some ability in simple record keeping and utilize computer software.
Preference will be given to candidates who possess:
- Experience in minor building repairs; plumbing; electrical; carpentry; painting; and grounds maintenance (mowing, weeding, shoveling, and raking); along with an understanding of snow and ice control. Ability to perform semiskilled tasks in construction, maintenance, mechanical repair, electrical, carpentry, masonry, plumbing, and painting.
- Ability to use, set up, and maintain ordinary bench and other shop machine tools and equipment as required.
- Ability to operate and maintain complex mechanical equipment as required.
- Basic record keeping skills to be used for items such as logging preventative maintenance and creating work orders and vehicle assignments.
- Basic word processing and Outlook/email experience.
Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility, visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties of the class.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights and may be exposed to extreme weather conditions and risk of injury from equipment and assaultive and/or abusive patients and/or clients.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to complete an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.