|Date Opened||5/22/2019 12:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$42,684 - $56,009/year|
|Job Type||Open to the Public|
|Close Date||6/4/2019 11:59:00 PM|
Do you want to join a dynamic team that is shaping the future of Transportation in Connecticut?
The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) seeks applications for a Secretary 1 position in the Bureau of Engineering and Construction, Division of Highway Design, at our Newington, Connecticut headquarters building.
This position is full time, 40 hours per week and is in the NP-3 (Administrative Clerical) bargaining unit. The Secretary 1 will provide excellent customer service to the Highway Consultant Design sections. The Secretary 1 will be responsible for preparing correspondence and technical reports; copying, scanning, and filing documents and reports; electronic file management; proof reading draft documents prepared by engineers and staff; maintaining and ordering office supplies; tracking and scheduling training; mail handling; answering telephone calls and supplying information requested or redirecting inquiries; setting up meetings; serving as back-up to other clerical staff and other related duties as required.
In addition to a competitive starting salary and excellent State benefits package, the DOT also offers the convenience of an on-site, low-cost fitness center, on-site cafeteria and free, ample parking. Our headquarters is easily accessible from major highways and by public transportation.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. Applicants must include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application. Ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. Applicants will be unable to make revisions once their application is submitted into the JobAps system. Applicants who submit and subsequently withdraw their application will not be able to resubmit for the same posting.
NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to answer additional questions and/or submit additional documentation which supports their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: cover letters, college transcripts, verification of degree completion, foreign education equivalency reports from a recognized USA accrediting service, proof of licensure, performance appraisals, employment/ supervisory references, etc.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position(s). The candidate pool resulting from this posting may be used to fill Secretary 1 vacancies that occur at the Department of Transportation, Bureau of Engineering and Construction, in the next twelve (12) months. Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your Jobaps portal account.
Direct questions pertaining to this recruitment to Jackie Ouellette at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reference: Secretary 1 Division of Highway Design #31376
Incumbents perform a variety of secretarial duties as illustrated in the following areas:
1. TYPING: Using a personal computer or other electronic equipment formats and types a full range of correspondence, reports, bills, drafts, etc. from rough draft, transcription, dictated notes, etc.; proofreads for content; edits using knowledge of grammar, punctuation and spelling.
2. FILING: Designs office filing systems; organizes and maintains files (including confidential files); maintains, updates and reviews reference materials and manuals.
3. CORRESPONDENCE: Composes routine letters/memoranda, etc. (e.g. standard replies and acknowledgement letters) for supervisor's signature.
4. REPORT WRITING: Compiles information from standard sources and prepares data reports (e.g. number of forms processed during the month).
5. INTERPERSONAL: Greets and directs visitors; answers phones and takes messages; answers questions requiring knowledge of terminology, organization, supervisor's responsibilities, etc. (e.g. appropriate referrals, general purpose of the unit).
6. PROCESSING: Scans correspondence; pulls and attaches related materials; reviews, routes and prioritizes mail.
7. PERSONAL SECRETARY: Arranges and coordinates meetings (including space and equipment); writes minutes of meetings, lectures, conferences, etc. from rough draft; takes notes using shorthand, speedwriting or machine transcription prepares expense accounts; makes travel arrangements.
8. OFFICE MANAGEMENT: Maintains an inventory of supplies and equipment; orders supplies when necessary; completes, processes and maintains paperwork for purchasing (e.g. orders, requisitions, invoices, etc.); maintains time and attendance records; performs related duties as required.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
The State of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the application of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.