The State of Connecticut, Connecticut State Library (CSL), is recruiting for a Librarian 2, reporting to the Unit Head in Collection Services. In this position, as Electronic Resources Librarian, you will manage the lifecycle of licensed electronic resources on subscription at the State Library, including database trials, acquisition, activation, authentication, discovery, administration and evaluation.
The mission of the Connecticut State Library is to preserve and make accessible Connecticut's history and heritage and to advance the development of library services statewide. The Library expends over $325,000 annually on licensed electronic resources, including access to over 60,000 ejournals and over 190,000 eBooks, many of them licensed for remote use either by state agency employees and/or the general public. We seek a skilled professional librarian to manage this growing and diverse resource.
This is a permanent, full time, 40 hours per week (Monday - Friday 9:00am - 5:30pm) position located at 231 Capitol Avenue, Hartford.
All applicants must include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application. If selected to interview, please provide a cover letter at the time of interview.
At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: performance reviews, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
Questions pertaining to this recruitment should be directed to Heidi Gray, firstname.lastname@example.org, 860-713-5028.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the State Library, this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of complex professional library tasks in management services, patron services, library services and historical services.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Maintain authentication protocols, specifically the proxy configuration files for electronic resources;
- Customize, maintain and troubleshoot interfaces for electronic resource access and discovery;
- Compile and analyze usage statistics; establish good working relationships with vendors and negotiate the most library-friendly licensing terms;
- Collaborate with library staff in Access Services and IT Support
- Work directly with library patrons;
- Participate in workgroups at the library consortium level; perform related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of professional principles and practices of library science including classification systems, reference sources and techniques, acquisitions, cataloging and filing, bibliographic sources of information and library automation; considerable knowledge of specialized functional procedures, areas of subject matter and/or principles of library administration; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to analyze and solve moderately complex problems relating to library methods and procedures; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
A Master's degree in Library Science or Information Science from a library school accredited by the American Library Association AND one year of post graduate degree experience in a relevant area of professional library work.
• Ex Libris Alma Certified Administrator (or certification in process).
• Three years of work experience managing e-resources in an integrated library system.
• Work experience configuring OCLC (Online Computer Library Center) EZproxy.
• Knowledge of e-resource licensing concepts and contract language.
• Work experience harvesting, analyzing and reporting e-resource usage statistics.
1. The State Librarian may determine other advanced educational degrees equivalent to the MLS degree based on staffing needs.
2. Incumbents of this class may be assigned to special projects requiring advanced level professional library duties as directed by the State Librarian.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.