Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Candidates selected for interview will be asked to provide a resume detailing experience in addition to three (3) pertinent professional references. State employees selected for interview will be asked to provide a copy of their last two service ratings.
For all other inquiries, please contact Nancy Flynn, firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
This class is accountable for performing highly skilled trades duties in various trade areas.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs highly skilled maintenance and/or construction work requiring the application of trade skills, codes, and standard trade practices in a variety of trade areas including but not limited to: electrical, plumbing, carpentry, HVACR, glazing, masonry, painting work, etc; makes estimates of time, personnel, and material required on assigned tasks; keeps necessary records; in smaller trade areas, may be the sole worker running a skilled trade area; performs duties related to the trade or trade areas as required; at State owned airports may be required to stand by for and respond to fire and/or crash emergency situations; may operate and maintain heavy earth moving equipment; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply the standard tools, materials, methods, and practices of a variety of trade areas; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare estimates and keep shop records; some ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Four (4) years of experience in one or more trade areas.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been performing skilled trade functions in one or more trade areas.
Note: For State Employees this is interpreted at or above the level of Skilled Maintainer or Transportation Maintainer 2. Housekeeping, custodial, and food services duties will not be considered as qualifying experience.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of subject requirements in a maintenance trade area may be substituted for two (2) years of the General Experience.
2. Two (2) years of experience as a Qualified Craft Worker Intern may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- Two (2) years of experience performing highly skilled trades work in a high school.
- HVAC experience, trade license is highly desireable; S1, S2
- Certification of Completion "Technician type Universal" refrigerant reclaimind certificate
- Experience with DDC/Building environmentral controls systems highly desired.
- Ability to utilize computer software
- Ability to write up purchase orders
Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility, and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to extreme weather conditions and to risk of injury from equipment.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.