|Date Opened||4/4/2019 10:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$46,721 - $61,096/year|
|Job Type||Open to the Public|
|Close Date||4/18/2019 11:59:00 PM|
The State of Connecticut, State Department of Education invites applicants to apply for a full-time Secretary 2 position within The Connecticut Technical Education and Career System. This position will provide executive level support to a CTECS Assistant Superintendent, and to the CTECS Legal Department. Some statewide travel may be required. Event management, meeting coordination,the ability to communicate, both written and oral, with state agencies, government leaders, and school personnel are critical elements of the position. An ability to think creatively, solve problems, and cultivate and retain relationships of trust are essential qualities of the ideal candidate.
As CTECS undergoes systemic growth and organizational transformation, it is important that this person be able to manage a certain level of ambiguity and change. This position is located at 39 Woodland Street in Hartford and operates 12- months per year , 40 hours per week, Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Candidates selected for interview will be asked to provide a resume detailing experience in addition to three (3) pertinent professional references. State employees selected for interview will be asked to provide a copy of their last two service ratings.
For all other inquiries, please contact Chris Beloff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Incumbents perform a variety of secretarial duties as illustrated in the following areas:
1. TYPING: Using a personal computer or other electronic equipment, formats and types a full range of correspondence, reports, bills, drafts, etc. from rough draft, transcription, dictated notes, etc. Proofreads for content; edits using knowledge of grammar, punctuation and spelling.
2. FILING: Designs office filing systems; organizes and maintains files (including confidential files); maintains, updates and reviews reference materials and manuals.
3. CORRESPONDENCE: Composes complex letters and/or memoranda, etc. (e.g. explaining department practices/policies) for own or supervisor's signature.
4. REPORT WRITING: Compiles information from a variety of sources and prepares narrative or statistical reports, exercising judgment in the selection of items to be included.
5. INTERPERSONAL: Greets and directs visitors; answers phones and screens incoming calls; provides advice to callers regarding policy and procedures (e.g. citing a regulation to solve a specific problem); coordinates with others both within and outside of the organization on a variety of non-routine matters.
6. PROCESSING: Screens letters, memos, reports and other materials to determine action required; may make recommendations to the supervisor.
7. PERSONAL SECRETARY: Arranges and coordinates meetings (including space and equipment); researches, assembles and coordinates meeting materials (e.g. charts, graphs, reports); writes minutes of meetings, lectures, conferences, etc. from rough draft; takes notes using shorthand, speedwriting or machine transcription; prepares expense accounts; makes travel arrangements.
8. OFFICE MANAGEMENT: Maintains an inventory of supplies and equipment; orders supplies when necessary; completes, processes and maintains paperwork for purchasing (e.g. orders, requisitions, invoices, etc.); maintains time and attendance records; assists in preparing and monitoring the office budget (e.g. compiles figures, reviews statistical reports, verifies expense items); designs and initiates new forms and procedures to facilitate workflow; performs related duties as required.
Our preferred candidate will possess:
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
The State of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the application of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.