|Date Opened||4/2/2019 12:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$109,673 - $225,937/year|
|Job Type||Open to the Public|
|Close Date||4/16/2019 11:59:00 PM|
The State of Connecticut Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD) seeks a Deputy Commissioner of Business Development who will also serve as its Chief Operating Officer/Chief Financial Officer. As Deputy Commissioner you will oversee all operations, administration of business development programs, and financial reporting for the agency. In this role strong interpersonal skills and a sense of urgency, accountability, and ownership are a must.
Our agency plays a critical role in the long-term financial sustainability and success of our state by:
• Supporting, promoting, and advocating for existing Connecticut businesses; keeping the dialog going
with companies long after relocation or growth.
• Onboarding and administratively supporting new Connecticut business, working cross-functionally
between agencies to minimize lag time, enhance service and expedite relocation.
• Serving as the “one-stop shop” for businesses – DECD does the legwork so they don’t have to.
The DECD currently employs approximately 100 full-time employees, and is comprised of the following offices: Business Development; Small Business Affairs; Brownfield Remediation and Development; Capital Projects; Film, Television & Digital Media; Finance and Administration; Arts and Historic Preservation; Tourism; and, Financial Review and Compliance.
The DECD is conveniently located at 450 Columbus Boulevard in Hartford, and is easily accessible to all major highways. This unclassified position is full-time, 40 hours per week, with an anticipated schedule of Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.; however, candidates must be flexible in order to meet Commissioner and Agency needs. The selected candidate will be appointed by the Commissioner of Economic and Community Development in accordance with the provisions of Sections 4-8 and 32-1d of the Connecticut General Statutes.
Read more about the DECD, the Office of Business Development, and some of its initiatives by clicking HERE.
Interested candidates must submit a cover letter and resume, as a single document, within the "Resume Tab" of their application. Please ensure that your application is complete. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application to the JobAps system.
NOTE: Applying through this system is the first step. You may be asked to provide additional information which supports your qualification(s) for this position, at any point during the recruitment process.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Lorraine Vittner at Lorraine.Vittner@ct.gov, (860) 713-5449.
• Oversee all DECD operations, administration of business development programs, and financial reporting.
• Accountable for ensuring the vitality and effectiveness of various economic initiatives, programs, and incentives in support of statewide development efforts.
• Seek input and cultivate strong relationships with key stakeholders.
• As Chief Financial Officer, lead the fiscal and budgetary activities of the agency with a key focus on compliance and accuracy.
• Ensure key financial operational performance metrics are in place and being measured.
• Cultivate a robust use and analysis of data.
• Understand critical interdependencies with other State agencies and work in collaboration across the Administration on service and strategic solutions.
• Provide information, reporting and testimony as required by Legislature.
• Analyze and recommend alternative economic development policies, strategies and implementation techniques.
• Exercise independent professional judgement and initiative within an established framework of regulations and policies.
Preference will be given to candidates with:
• More than 10 years of experience managing teams, overseeing financial analysis, budgeting, reporting functions, and a client franchise;
• Work experience with strategic planning as well as the introduction of new programs/strategies;
• Work experience with implementation of internal policy control;
• Work experience ensuring compliance with all applicable laws and rules for financial reporting; and,
• Work experience with problem solving and exercising sound judgment and decision making.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
The State of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the application of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.