- Full-time, 37.5 hours per week
- Second (2nd) shift
- Monday - Friday
- 2:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- Stamford, CT
serves approximately 11,200 full-time high school students. We have upgraded state-of-the-art classrooms and industry-standard equipment in every shop, giving students a well-rounded, 21st century education.
- Incumbent will work in a high school environment
- Incumbent will be responsible for performing a full range of school lead custodial duties
What’s In It For You:
- To work for a Forbes top company: ‘Forbes’ State of Connecticut Ranked One of the Best Employers of 2023 - State of CT Receives National Recognition for Offering Job Growth, Competitive Benefits, and Flexible Schedule;
- A Platinum Healthcare Plan, the nation’s best for state employees and dependents, according to a report by Georgetown’s Center on Health Insurance Reform and article by Ellen Andrews, Ph.D., along with comprehensive benefit offerings
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings.
- Paid time off - including 13 paid holidays per calendar year.
- Professional growth and paid professional development opportunities.
- A healthy work-life balance to all employees.
- State of Connecticut is an eligible Public Service Loan Forgiveness employer, meaning you may be eligible to have qualifying student loan forgiveness after 10 years of service. Click here for more information.
Discover the opportunity to:
- Engage in a rewarding career
- Assist our employees so they can achieve success
- Make a difference in the public sector
- Work together in a collaborative team environment
This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the minimum qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date, unless otherwise specified.
The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Please ensure that your application is complete. You will be unable to make revisions once you officially submit your application to the state of Connecticut.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
During the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation supporting their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include performance reviews, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc. at the discretion of the agency.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for acting as a working supervisor for a crew of Custodians engaged in the cleaning of buildings.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Plans crew workflow and determines priorities; schedules, assigns, oversees and reviews work; establishes and maintains crew procedures; provides staff training and assistance; conducts or assists in conducting performance evaluations; acts as liaison with operating units, agencies and outside officials regarding unit policies and procedures; may make recommendations on policies or standards; may prepare reports and correspondence; ensures supplies and equipment for crew are adequate by reporting shortages to supervisor; performs full range of duties as outlined in Custodian class specification; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of building custodial and/or housekeeping work and related equipment; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to operate, care for and perform minor maintenance on tools and equipment used in daily work; some supervisory ability; some ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of experience in work that could reasonably be expected to provide the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed above.
- Experience leading a crew of custodians in a school or commercial building.
- Experience scheduling, assigning, overseeing, and evaluating the work of staff.
- Experience planning crew workflow and determining priorities.
- Experience monitoring supplies and equipment for crew and reporting shortages to supervisor.
- Experience waxing and polishing floors using floor polishers and buffers.
- Experience moving furniture in a school and/or setting up classrooms.
- Experience removing snow and ice from stairways and walkways around school buildings.
- Experience performing minor maintenance on tools and equipment used in daily work.
- Experience in using sanitizing equipment and solutions.
Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights and may be exposed to risk of injury from equipment and/or assaultive and/or abusive patients or clients.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.