Are you looking for an opportunity to independently perform a full range of tasks in research design and implementation? Then look no further, we have just the opportunity for you!
At the State of Connecticut, Department of Social Services (DSS) we are recruiting for one (1) Research Analyst, to be a part of our Business Intelligence and Analytics Division. This position will be located in our Central Office at 55 Farmington Avenue, Hartford, CT. Additionally, this is a full-time, first shift, forty (40) hour per week position with a Monday through Friday schedule.
We would entrust you to independently conduct in-depth research and advanced analyses. Additionally, we will have you:
- Collaborate across DSS units to assist in various projects
- Assist in data policy development and related activities
- Other duties as needed
State of Connecticut employees participate in a competitive benefits plan that includes:
- Excellent health and dental coverage
- A generous retirement plan
- Paid time off
- A healthy work/life balance
We encourage you to come see all that Connecticut has to offer by joining the DSS team!
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. We are no longer accepting resumes in accordance with PA 21-69. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- The Department of Social Services participates in E-Verify, which is a web-based system that allows enrolled employers to confirm the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States.
Important Information After You Apply:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- These positions will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Ethan Ives via email at Ethan.Ives@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of tasks in research design and implementation.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Conduct research and advanced analyses
- Support strong decision intelligence across the DSS enterprise
- Collaborate closely with various DSS business units to serve as their analytic account executive to ensure production of dashboards and other data products
- Support DSS' data governance activities, including data policy development, data equity framework + geo-spatial advancement
- Assist the BIA Director to provide analytic and performance management support for the agency's Strategic Plan
- Assist DSS data request process
- Aid with development and implementation of the Department's Research Agenda and other evaluative activities
- Additional information can be found here
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of research methods and techniques; knowledge of statistics; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to analyze data; ability to develop programs and use prepackaged computer programs to perform data analysis; ability to understand agency related policies and procedures as they relate to research.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Six (6) years of professional experience in research, data analysis or economics.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in economics, statistics or a closely related field may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Possession of Masters or Ph.D. in data science, statistics, economics, computer science, mathematics, social work, epidemiology, psychology, public policy, sociology, or similar field
- Experience working in health or human services
- Experience conducting research
- Experience using formulas and creating pivot tables in Excel
- Experience conducting analyses using SPPS, Stata, SAS or other similar software
- Experience with data visualization
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.