Bargaining Unit: BTC - Crafts and Trades (002)
$48.67-$48.67 Hourly / $3,893.60-$3,893.60 BiWeekly /
$8,436.13-$8,436.13 Monthly / $101,233.60-$101,233.60 Yearly
Under direction, to operate a self-propelled street sweeper used in sweeping roads and streets; to perform minor and emergency maintenance; and to do related work as required.
Street Sweeper Operators are located in the Maintenance and Operations Department of Public Works. Alone and without immediate supervision, the incumbent operates the County's Street Sweeper sweeping roads and streets in the County. This class is distinguished from the classes of Heavy Truck Driver and Heavy Equipment Operator because the incumbent is primarily required to operate the street sweeper, and operation of other road maintenance vehicles is usually only required during periods of rain, when sweepers are not available, or when needed for other higher priority projects or programs.
Street Sweeper Operators are required to work all shifts included nights, may be assigned to East or West County, must sweep “no parking” areas during specific time periods of short duration, must allow tracking of equipment and work through GPS systems, and may work alternate work schedules such as 4-10s.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Each individual in the classification does not necessarily perform all duties listed.
1. Operates a Street Sweeper, sweeping designated County roads and streets; notifies superiors of intention to use specific refuse dump sites and records the number of loads dumped, quantities of material dumped, and other essential information.
2. Performs vehicle lubrication, such as greasing sprockets, elevator shaft, chains, and rotary equipment; washes the sweeper at the conclusion of each day; makes minor and emergency repairs to the hopper and motor as required.
3. Keeps records of areas to be swept, being responsible for the progress and completion of sweeping operations; records sweeping time and mileage; fills out trip tickets and other required records.
4. Assists in loading and unloading of the sweeper when it is transported by truck to a sweeping site; may be assigned to perform as a Heavy Truck Driver, or other duties as the needs of the department may require.
5. Complete timekeeping records and other written records.
Possess and maintain a valid California Motor Vehicle Class A Commercial Driver’s License. Candidates must submit evidence from the DMV showing current status of their license at the time of application and must have a clean driving record for the past eighteen (18) months; a Tanks (N) endorsement and a valid Medical Certificate are required for all patterns.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
NOTE: The level and scope of the following knowledge and abilities are related to duties listed under the “Examples of Duties” section of this specification.
• The operation and maintenance of a large street sweeper.
• Pertinent provisions of the California Motor Vehicle Code.
• Basic road maintenance techniques, materials and tools.
• Drive with safety and skill.
• Follow oral and written instructions.
• Reliably conducting sweeping tasks without direct supervision.
• Perform minor automotive repairs.
• Complete legible written records such as timesheets, basic reports, logs, etc.
CLASS SPEC HISTORY
te Retyped: 1/12/77
PR:lfm Revised: 2/23/82
TAT:pb Retyped: 6/3/86
TAT:pb Revised: 4/7/89
JH:jc Updated: 6/23/95
Old doc: 0863h
New doc: 9317.doc
CSC Date: 4/12/89
RC:po Revised 4/3/07
CSC Date: 5/9/2007
MH:cs Revised 2/3/15
CSC Date: 5/27/15
Alameda County offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that affords wide-ranging health care options to meet the different needs of a diverse workforce and their families. We also sponsor many different employee discount, fitness and health screening programs focused on overall well being. These benefits include but are not limited to*:
For your Health & Well-Being
For your Financial Future
For your Work/Life Balance
*Eligibility is determined by Alameda County and offerings may vary by collective bargaining agreement. This provides a brief summary of the benefits offered and can be subject to change.