Bargaining Unit: SEIU 1021 - Service Employees (004)
$24.37-$28.86 Hourly / $1,827.75-$2,164.50 BiWeekly /
$3,960.13-$4,689.75 Monthly / $47,521.50-$56,277.00 Yearly
Under close supervision, to perform routine operations for the Probation Department laundry service; and to do related work as required.
This is the journey-level classification. The incumbent provides the full range of laundry services for Juvenile Hall and Camp Sweeney. Industrial laundry procedures and practices are the basis for the daily function of this position. The incumbent will be required to operate a variety of laundry service equipment. Requires flexibility in scheduling over several standard shifts plus rotation to weekends and holidays. This position reports to Storekeeper in the institutions.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Each individual in the classification does not necessarily perform all duties listed.
1. Sort, count, and prepare soiled laundry to be transported for cleaning/washing at the contracted vendor site.
2. Count, sort, and wash soiled laundry; takes dried laundry from hand carts and places it on folding tables, folds and sorts clean laundry for distribution to living units.
3. Load, unload and start large capacity industrial washing and drying machines. Load and replace washing detergent dispensers; cleaning solutions.
4. Maintain item inventory daily to ensure sufficient supplies to provide for given population at Juvenile Hall.
5. Unload, sort, record, and deliver laundry items from outside vendor.
6. Maintain adequate laundry supplies such as detergent and other solutions needed to wash clothes on a daily basis. Perform proper operation of automatic liquid feed system.
7. Inspects machinery, including washers and dryers for cleanliness and good working condition.
Ability to follow written and verbal instructions, distinguish colors and perform physical labor involving manual dexterity.
One year of experience in the operation of an institutional or commercial laundry.
One year of work experience in an industrial environment such as manufacturing or warehouse performing such duties as pushing heavy carts, moving pallets and boxes or other duties that require physical exertion.
Must successfully complete a thorough background security investigation before being appointed into this position. Must pass a pre-employment medical examination.
Workers must be able to lift, bend, work well with their hands, and be able to tolerate the repetitive nature of the work.
NOTE: The Civil Service Commission may modify the above Minimum Qualifications in the announcement of an examination.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
NOTE: The level and scope of the following knowledge and abilities are related to duties listed under the "Examples of Duties" section of this specification.
• Methods, supplies and equipment used in a laundry operation.
• Proper loading techniques, the preparation and use of soaps, bleaches, starches and disinfectants.
• Methods and agents used in removing stains from various materials.
• Proper sorting techniques.
• Sanitation and safety practices in the laundry.
• Basic institutional security.
• Read and write English and follow oral and written instructions.
• Learn the machine operations, procedures and techniques of laundry work.
• Perform basic Math
• Plan and schedule daily and weekly workloads.
• Work in custodial environment.
• Follow oral and written instructions in line with demands of position.
• Maintain records.
CLASS SPEC HISTORY
DH:nw Revised: 3/30/71
IB:cs Revised 10/19/10
Alameda County offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that affords wide-ranging health care options to meet the different needs of a diverse workforce and their families. We also sponsor many different employee discount, fitness and health screening programs focused on overall well being. These benefits include but are not limited to*:
For your Health & Well-Being
For your Financial Future
For your Work/Life Balance
*Eligibility is determined by Alameda County and offerings may vary by collective bargaining agreement. This provides a brief summary of the benefits offered and can be subject to change.