Bargaining Unit: SEIU 1021 - Social Workers (005)
$42.99-$51.73 Hourly / $3,224.25-$3,879.75 BiWeekly /
$6,985.88-$8,406.13 Monthly / $83,830.50-$100,873.50 Yearly
Under supervision, to provide induction orientation for social service staff; to induct and train eligibility technicians to determine and establish eligibility for public assistance; to train eligibility staff in budget computation; and to do related work as required.
This classification includes positions comparable in level to Social Work Supervisor I in the Social Services Agency. Social Welfare Specialist I’s typically carry no line functions, and are exclusively assigned to staff development and training functions.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Each individual in the classification does not necessarily perform all duties listed.
1. Plans training sessions to meet needs of employees; prepares lesson plans; seeks out information and new techniques; prepares teaching materials.
2. Conducts and teaches classes to meet agency goals; arranges for guest speakers, field trips, and other learning experience; uses audio-visual equipment and other tools and materials of teaching; evaluates the learning process and prepares measuring devices.
3. Reports on each teaching session conducted as to participants, content, and methods; prepares a general evaluation of each session.
4. Completes special assignments and works on agency committees; cooperates with divisions within the agency and with outside agencies.
Positions requiring MSW:
Possession of a master of Social Welfare Degree from an accredited college or university. (Requires MSW when assigned to Staff Development and are training personnel for positions which requires MSW. Those who train for position that do not require an MSW do not need an MSW - for example, Eligibility Technician).
The equivalent of two years of experience in the class of Social Worker II or in an equivalent or higher level social work class in the Alameda County classified service. (Non-classified includes District Attorney’s Office, Hospital Authority, and the Consolidated Courts.)
Possession of a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university,
The equivalent of three years of experience as a social worker in a public welfare agency that included one-year equivalent in level to the class of Social Worker II in the Alameda County classified service. (Non-classified includes District Attorney’s Office, Hospital Authority, and the Consolidated Courts.)
Some acceptable combination of education and appropriate experience.
Possession of a valid California Motor Vehicle Operator's license.
NOTE: The Civil Service Commission may modify the above Minimum Qualifications in the announcement of an examination.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
NOTE: The level and scope of the following knowledge and abilities are related to duties listed under the "Examples of Duties" section of this specification.
• Techniques and methods of casework.
• Provisions of the California Welfare and Institutions Code, the Social Security Act, and other pertinent legislation in the field of public welfare.
• Teaching methods and practices.
• Facilities available for foster care.
• Public and community resources and services.
• Prepare and present lesson plans.
CLASS SPEC HISTORY
Old document: 0675h
New document: Jobspecs/6792
CSC Date: 5/30/78
Alameda County offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that affords wide-ranging health care options to meet the different needs of a diverse workforce and their families. We also sponsor many different employee discount, fitness and health screening programs focused on overall well being. These benefits include but are not limited to*:
For your Health & Well-Being
For your Financial Future
For your Work/Life Balance
*Eligibility is determined by Alameda County and offerings may vary by collective bargaining agreement. This provides a brief summary of the benefits offered and can be subject to change.