Bargaining Unit: SEIU 1021 - Clerical (010)
$27.09-$32.01 Hourly / $2,031.75-$2,400.75 BiWeekly /
$4,402.13-$5,201.63 Monthly / $52,825.50-$62,419.50 Yearly
Under general supervision, to operate data entry keyboard equipment in converting information from source documents onto disks, diskettes, or tapes for use in further computer processing; to verify completed work; and to do related work as required.
This is the journey level in the Data Entry series. Positions in the class of Data Entry Operators must be skilled in working from a variety of source documents coding, formatting, sequencing, classifying, and abbreviating data, and then entering this data by means of a data entry keyboard into key-to-disk, key-to-diskette or disk-to-tape equipment. Positions in the class of Data Entry Operator are distinguished from those in the class of Senior Data Entry Operator because the Senior Data Entry Operator acts as a lead person assisting the Data Entry Supervisor in assigning duties and monitoring work progress.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Each individual in the classification does not necessarily perform all duties listed.
1. Works from general instructions to code, format, sequence, classify, and abbreviate data found on a variety of source documents.
2. Enters data by means of an electronically controlled alphanumeric keyboard onto disk, diskette, or magnetic tape.
3. Uses data entry keyboard to verify encoded data.
4. Maintains production guidelines, based on key strokes per hour, for completed work.
5. Performs necessary clerical functions for controlling and processing source documents for systematic flow of work.
6. Makes use of programs for data entry devices.
Successful completion of a data entry training course with a minimum of 5O clock hours of actual operation of data entry equipment, AND
The equivalent of six months of full-time experience in the operation of data entry keyboard equipment.
The equivalent of nine months of full-time experience in the operation of data entry keyboard equipment.
NOTE: Anyone appointed to a position of Data Entry Operator, whether from an eligible list or by noncompetitive qualifying examination must demonstrate the ability to operate a keyboard of standard data entry equipment at a rate of 1O,OOO key strokes per hour without more than l% error.
NOTE: The Civil Service Commission may modify the above Minimum Qualifications in the announcement of an examination.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
NOTE: The level and scope of the following knowledge and abilities are related to duties listed under the “Examples of Duties” section of this specification.
• Principles and techniques required to operate data entry equipment and create control programs for data entry equipment.
• Data entry equipment keyboards and touch typing system.
• Data processing terminology and data record layouts.
• Operate data entry and data verification equipment rapidly and accurately over extended periods of time.
• Read and interpret a wide variety of source documents.
• Follow oral and written instructions and standardized procedures in order to effectively perform assignments.
• Operate keyboard of standard data entry equipment at a rate of 1O,OOO key strokes per hour with not more than l% error.
CLASS SPEC HISTORY
Old document: BS:lh
New document: Jobspecs/1805
Alameda County offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that affords wide-ranging health care options to meet the different needs of a diverse workforce and their families. We also sponsor many different employee discount, fitness and health screening programs focused on overall well being. These benefits include but are not limited to*:
For your Health & Well-Being
For your Financial Future
For your Work/Life Balance
*Eligibility is determined by Alameda County and offerings may vary by collective bargaining agreement. This provides a brief summary of the benefits offered and can be subject to change.