The New Haven Police Department is seeking a highly skilled and motivated individual to fill the critical civilian role of Supervisor of Management Services. This position is responsible for overseeing a variety of administrative activities within the Department, including fiscal management, budgeting, payroll, purchasing, and supervision of staff. The ideal candidate should possess a strong background in public administration, financial management, and team leadership.
The Supervisor of Management Services will play a vital role in planning, developing, operating, and coordinating administrative activities within the Department. This position involves analyzing and supervising work in areas such as purchasing, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and budgeting.
This is highly responsible administrative and supervisory work in planning, development, operating and coordination of a variety of administrative activities within a Public Safety Department.
Work involves analysis and supervision of work in the areas of purchasing, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and budgeting. Work is performed under the general supervision of the department unit chief and is reviewed through conferences, reports, and evaluation of results.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervises the fiscal staff within the related Division of the Department.
- Assists in the development and submission of the Department’s annual General, Capital, and Special Fund budgets.
- Provides consultation on all fiscal matters pertaining to the Department.
- Develops, implements, and directs policies and procedures related to all payroll, revenue, and expense operations in the Department with respect to the policies of the Department of Finance.
- Maintains compliance with all union contract payroll requirements, and state and federal payroll laws.
- Prepares and reviews fiscal, budgetary, and payroll reports as required and requested by the Department and other City Departments.
- Provides analysis and recommendations with regard to cost efficiencies and revenue opportunities.
- Provides regular reporting to the Chief and Assistant Chiefs regarding the budget and its impact on operations.
- Assists in creating, submitting, reviewing, and awarding the Department’s bids, Requests for Proposal, and Requests for Qualifications.
- Reviews all Department requisitions and invoices for compliance with City policies.
- Prepares, submits, and tracks requests for expense reimbursements from other government agencies and private vendors.
- Fulfills various financial administrative roles for the Department as assigned, including Financial Point of Contact for grants.
- Prepares and submits personnel reports pertaining to the Department’s hiring.
- Holder of the Department’s procurement card (P-card). Responsible for all P-card purchases and corresponding reports.
- Deposits revenue and reimbursements received by the related Division.
- Assignment with Police Department Maintains the Police Department’s bank accounts.
- Performs related work as required.
EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or a related field; and five to ten years of experience in the areas of fiscal management, payroll, budget control, purchasing, and supervision in a comparable size public or private organization; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the following necessary knowledge, experience, skills, and abilities required for the position. Experience with MUNIS preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of public administration and budgetary control.
- Considerable knowledge of principles of governmental accounting, including the ability to plan, schedule, direct, assign, and review the work of subordinate, professional, and clerical support personnel.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles of municipal budgeting, account classification, and financial reporting.
- Experience with government payroll and grants preferred.
- Extensive computer skills and ability to produce spreadsheets, graphs, presentations, and other computerized information useful in analyzing and planning programmatic and financial activities.
- Ability to audit financial and payroll records.
- Ability to exercise judgement and work independently.
- Ability to communicate effectively both in writing and orally across all levels of the Department and with other City officials.
- Ability to develop and maintain working relationships with supervisors, staff, other City personnel, vendors, and the public.
- Ability to analyze budgetary problems and recommend effective solutions.
- Ability to exercise judgment in applying and interpreting policies and procedures.
- Skill in interpreting laws that pertain to municipal fiscal procedures and payroll.
SALARY, BARGAINING UNIT & TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
This is a General Fund, "Tested" position.
This position is included in a collective bargaining agreement with Local 3144, American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees; the salary is within Local 3144, Range 11.
Bargaining agreements available to review HERE.
General Funded hires into this class are not covered by Social Security and will not pay Social Security taxes. They instead participate in the City Pension; the employee contribution rate is 10% of pay.
Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of: (1) a pre-employment background check, (2) a pre-employment physical examination, including pre-employment drug screening in accordance with the City’s Drug Free Workplace Policy*, and (3) a 90-day probationary period. Instructions and information on this pre-employment process are included in Conditional Offer of Employment.
*Pursuant to the Federal Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988, The City of New Haven has a adopted a Drug Free Workplace Policy. The City of New Haven requires a pre-employment drug test, which includes screening for marijuana.
Applicants meeting minimum requirements may be invited to participate in a Civil Service exam process at a later date, or your application submission may be rated and scored.
It is critical that you complete the application thoroughly, as the information you provide will be used to ascertain if you are eligible to move forward in the selection process, and in some cases, this information may be used to determine the eligibility list.
Information regarding the employment and selection process can be found HERE.
Please note that the only method of communication with applicants for this position will be by email. You must provide a valid, working email address and you will need to monitor your email, including spam/junk folders, for correspondence from the New Haven Human Resources Department.
To apply for this opportunity:
- Complete your User Registration. You are encouraged to save your Applicant Profile for future use.
- You MUST click on the job posting you are interested in, and click Apply or Apply Online from within that posting.
- MAKE SURE the job you are applying for is named at the top of the page as you review your application!
- Review or modify your application for that position
- Click "Ready to Send App" or the "Send" tab; read page and click the attestation
- Click "Send to City of New Haven"
- You will be redirected to "CONFIRMATION OF EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION SUBMISSION"
- You will also receive an email and text, if a number was provided, confirming your submission
- If you do not receive this confirmation in the next 24 hours, your application has not been submitted - please contact us at NHJobs@newhavenct.gov
Please Note, your Profile is NOT an application for an open position. After you create your Applicant Profile, you must still click on a Job Title and complete the application as instructed for each position.