Our mission is to enhance the quality of life in New Haven as responsible stewards of the public's physical assets by providing outstanding service in partnership with the community. We design, build, maintain, green, protect and improve the city's parks, infrastructure, facilities, and public spaces with skill, pride. innovation. and responsiveness. We create better lives through the services we provide. The mission is supported through the following areas:
The beauty of the City of New Haven is personified in its parks for residents to enjoy nature. Our mission is to enhance the quality of life for New Haven residents by creating an atmosphere of community through people, parks and programs. We are proudly responsible for the stewardship of the Elm City’s over 2,200 acres of parks, and the tree belt.
This is a senior management level position requiring management, administrative and technical skills necessary to direct the daily execution of a variety of activities involving Parks and Public Works personnel. The position is appointed by the Mayor and reports to the Chief Administrative Officer.
Work involves the planning and directing work tasks associated with day to day maintenance of parks, parkways, public rights of way, bridges (including mechanical moving bridges), citywide refuse collection and disposal, recycling, snow removal, fleet management, forestry, park and recreational facilities and drainage. The position is responsible for coordinating emergency responses to flooding, snow or other weather-related emergencies and works closely with other public safety officials in responding to both natural and man-made disasters.
Within the general policies of the City and the general instructions of the Mayor and Chief Administrative Officer the position exercises considerable judgement and initiative in budgeting and administering funding, coordinating work tasks, supervising personnel, handling correspondence, overseeing departmental finances, dealing with personnel issues, and communicating with elected officials and members of the public are daily functions of the position.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with emphasis on civil engineering, urban planning, transportation, environmental studies, parks and recreation administration, public administration or related field. A master’s degree in public or business administration is preferred. Five to seven years of progressively responsible related financial and operational management experience preferably in public sector/government; including 3 to 5 years supervisory experience. In lieu of college degree, an additional four years of experience in civil engineering, urban planning, transportation, environmental studies, parks and recreation administration, public administration or a related field may be substituted.
The equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the following knowledge, abilities, and skills:
· The Position is Governed by the Charter and the Executive Management and Confidential Handbook. The position fills the charter requirements of both the Director of Parks and the Director of Public Works.
· Elector status in the City of New Haven is required within six months of appointment.
· The position has a four-year term appointed by the Mayor. Candidates filling vacancies mid-term shall fill out the remainder of the existing term.
This position covered by the Executive Management & Confidential Employee Policy, available to review HERE.
Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of: (1) a pre-employment background check, (2) a pre-employment physical examination, including pre-employment drug screening, and (3) a 90-day probationary period. Instructions and information on this pre-employment process are included in Conditional Offer of Employment.
Applications will be reviewed by the Department of Human Resources and the Chief Administrative Officer.
It is critical that you complete the application thoroughly, as the information you provide will be used to ascertain if you are eligible to move forward in the selection process, and in some cases, this information may be used to determine the eligibility list.
Information regarding the employment and selection process can be found HERE.Please note that the only method of communication with applicants for this position will be by email. You must provide a valid, working email address and you will need to monitor your email, including spam/junk folders, for correspondence from the New Haven Human Resources Department.
- Complete your User Registration. You are encouraged to save your Applicant Profile for future use.
- You MUST click on the job posting you are interested in, and click Apply or Apply Online from within that posting.
- MAKE SURE the job you are applying for is named at the top of the page as you review your application!
- Review or modify your application for that position
- Click "Ready to Send App" or the "Send" tab; read page and click the attestation
- Click "Send to City of New Haven"
- You will be redirected to "CONFIRMATION OF EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION SUBMISSION"
- You will also receive an email and text, if a number was provided, confirming your submission
- If you do not receive this confirmation in the next 24 hours, your application has not been submitted - please contact us at NHJobs@newhavenct.gov
Please Note, your Profile is NOT an application for an open position. After you create your Applicant Profile, you must still click on a Job Title and complete the application as instructed for each position.
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|