This is responsible administrative work in directing and coordinating the personnel program of the City. Work involves the responsibility for developing, implementing and administering the personnel program including recruitment, civil service testing, selection, position classification, personnel training, legal compliance and maintenance of City personnel records. Position also serves as Secretary to the Civil Service Board.
Work includes frequent contact with the public and departmental officials in interpreting personnel policies and program operations and involves informing, assisting and consulting with the Civil Service Board and other bodies in personnel matters.
Work is performed under the general supervision of the Manager of Human Resources and Benefits, with a degree of independence and latitude for action. Work is reviewed for results and general conformance with the Civil Service Rules and City administration policies through discussions and analysis of recommendations, reports and related data.
Hybrid remote work options may be available for some aspects of this position once regular routines are established.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties of the position are set forth in the Charter of the City of New Haven and the Civil Service Rules, as they may be amended from time to time. Additionally, the duties of the Personnel Director include but are not limited to the following:
- Directs programs of recruitment, position classification, civil service testing, personnel training, and personnel transactions, and develops methods for improving quality and efficiency of these activities.
- Develops and supervises the preparation, scheduling and administration of testing, and of staff assigned to the testing unit.
- Administers testing in accordance with the Rules and Regulations of the Civil Service Board.
- Conducts research necessary for validation of examinations.
- Conducts field interviews and desk audits for the determination of examination content.
- Develops tests based on job specifications and field audits.
- Develops and supervises the maintenance of a test bank.
- Supervises the screening, scoring of exams and establishes cut-off scores according to test validation and related principles.
- Implements and evaluates agency personnel policies, goals and objectives, and designs and implements performance and program review standards.
- Designs and develops personnel programs and activities.
- Insures appropriate interpretation of personnel rules and regulations.
- Stays abreast of federal and state laws, regulations and guidelines impacting the personnel function, and reviews all programs for compliance.
- Trains new staff in personnel policy, testing and office procedures.
- Plans workflow and determines priorities.
- Advises executives, administrators, managers and Civil Service Board regarding personnel policies and procedures.
- Serves as Secretary to the Civil Service Board and as such shall: attend all meetings of the Civil Service Board; keep correct records of the Civil Service Board; prepare and keep in the register on file in the office of the Personnel Director a list of those eligible for positions in all departments, send out all official notices; and, perform all other official duties as instructed by the Civil Service Board.
- Performs other related work as required.
EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Human Resource Management or a related field, including or supplemented by courses in organizational psychology, statistics, tests and measurements or other related courses; five to seven years of experience in work affording knowledge of the problems involved in public personnel management, or equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the following knowledge, abilities & skills:
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of the principles of personnel management and administrations, including classification, pre-employment testing and selection, and personnel transactions.
- Considerable knowledge of job analysis procedures, test construction and test validation methods.
- Considerable knowledge of municipal governmental functions and organizations.
- Considerable knowledge of the practices, terminology, and requirements of a wide variety of occupations and functional work areas.
- Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply management principles and techniques.
- Considerable knowledge of relevant Federal and State statutes, guidelines and regulations which affect the public personnel function.
- Considerable knowledge of effective office practices and procedures.
- Considerable interpersonal skills.
- Considerable ability to develop and implement agency-wide policy.
- Knowledge of statistical procedures.
- Ability to plan, assign and coordinate the activities of Analysts, testing staff and consultants.
- Ability to direct and participate in examination and training activities and to assist in the development of long-range plans for the personnel program of the City.
- Ability to plan, design, implement, monitor and evaluate major projects in testing, classification, training and related areas.
- Ability to clearly communicate orally.
- Ability to write effectively in both technical and conversational format (letters, memos, reports, RFPs, technical explanations, policy drafts, etc.
- Ability to effectively use the computer for reporting, data analysis, information searches, work planning and organization, communication and related functions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with elective officials, department heads, employees and their representatives, professional groups, and the general public.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Within six (6) months following the effective date of appointment, incumbent shall become an elector of the City of New Haven or reside outside the corporate boundaries of the City if such residence is on lands owned by the City of New Haven.
SALARY, BARGAINING UNIT & TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
This is a General Fund, "Tested" position governed by the rules of the Civil Service Board. The Personnel Director shall be appointed by the Mayor from a list of three (3) persons with the highest ratings obtained in a civil service examination held to determine those eligible for said position. This is not affected by an expiration of a term of office.
This position covered by the Executive Management & Confidential Employee Policy, available to review HERE.
Hires into this class shall not be covered by the City pension but shall continue to be covered by Social Security; additionally, employee will contribute 7.5% of base pay into a defined contribution plan.
Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of: (1) a pre-employment background check, (2) a pre-employment physical examination, including pre-employment drug screening, (3) registration in the New Haven COVID Vaccination/Testing portal and providing proof of Vaccination status, as per the Mandatory COVID Vaccination/Testing Policy, and (4) a 90-day probationary period. Instructions and information on this pre-employment process are included in Conditional Offer of Employment.
Applicants meeting minimum requirements will be invited to participate in a Civil Service exam process at a later date. It is critical that you complete the application thoroughly, as the information you provide will be used to ascertain if you are eligible to move forward in the selection process, and in some cases, this information may be used to determine the eligibility list.
Information regarding the employment and selection process can be found HERE.
Please note that the only method of communication with applicants for this position will be by email. You must provide a valid, working email address and you will need to monitor your email, including spam/junk folders, for correspondence from the New Haven Human Resources Department.
To apply for this opportunity:
Please Note, your Profile your Applicant Profile, you must still click on a Job Title and complete the application as instructed for each position.
- Complete your User Registration. You are encouraged to save your Applicant Profile for future use.
- You MUST click on the job posting you are interested in, and click Apply or Apply Online from within that posting.
- MAKE SURE the job you are applying for is named at the top of the page as you review your application!
- Review or modify your application for that position
- Click "Ready to Send App" or the "Send" tab; read page and click the attestation
- Click "Send to City of New Haven"
- You will be redirected to "CONFIRMATION OF EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION SUBMISSION"
- You will also receive an email and text, if a number was provided, confirming your submission
- If you do not receive this confirmation in the next 24 hours, your application has not been submitted - please contact us at NHJobs@newhavenct.gov