This is advanced professional and supervisory work in the field of civil engineering.
Work involves the performance and supervision of a variety of complex engineering duties associated with the planning, location, design, construction, maintenance or operation of roads and bridges, buildings, sewage treatment plants, sewers, and other civil engineering projects. Work is assigned by an administrative superior and limited, general supervision is received; work is evaluated through conferences, reports and inspections.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervises the preparation of or reviews construction plans for civil engineering projects including cost estimates and detailed working drawings.
- Recommends methods of resolving unusual and complex problems and improving materials and practices; interprets applicable engineering and administrative directives, policies and standards.
- Performs civil engineering design studies by utilizing engineering, aesthetic, socio-economic and other criteria and supervises engineering and technical assistants.
- Designs and directs the preparation or review of bridge, roadway, building or sewer construction plans for large and complex projects; prepares required contract specifications.
- Supervises and participates in the work of subordinate technicians engaged in the survey and inspection of engineering projects.
- Performs related work as required.
EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
Graduation from an accredited college or university with specialization in civil engineering; and 4 to 7 years of responsible experience in the specialty; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the following knowledge, abilities, and skills:
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of the engineering principles and practices applied in the planning, location, design or construction of civil engineering projects.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices applied in the inspection and testing of materials used in the construction of civil engineering projects.
- Considerable knowledge of engineering-surveying.
- Considerable knowledge of soils and materials testing and research.
- Ability to perform all the algebraic and trigonometric computations applied to engineering surveying and design operations.
- Ability to prepare, interpret and utilize civil engineering plans, maps, specifications, and reports.
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of professional engineers and technical assistants.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of Connecticut or eligibility for registration within one year of appointment.
SALARY, BARGAINING UNIT & TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
This is a "Special Fund," non-tested position. Continued employment contingent upon availability of future funding.
This position is included in a collective bargaining agreement with Local 3144, American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees; the salary is within Local 3144, Range 10.
Bargaining agreements available to review HERE.
Special Fund hires into this class are not eligible to participate in the City Employees Retirement Fund, but shall have the option of participating in a 457 Plan administered by the City, with a City contribution match up to 3%. Employees will become 100% vested at three years.
Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of: (1) a pre-employment background check, (2) a pre-employment physical examination, including pre-employment drug screening, (3) registration in the New Haven COVID Vaccination/Testing portal and providing proof of Vaccination status, as per the Mandatory COVID Vaccination/Testing Policy, and (4) a 90-day probationary period. Instructions and information on this pre-employment process are included in Conditional Offer of Employment.
Applications will be reviewed by the Department of Human Resources and the hiring department; position will be posted until filled.
Information regarding the employment and selection process can be found HERE
Please note that the only method of communication with applicants for this position will be by email. You must provide a valid, working email address and you will need to monitor your email, including spam/junk folders, for correspondence from the New Haven Human Resources Department.
To apply for this opportunity:
- Complete your User Registration. You are encouraged to save your Applicant Profile for future use.
- You MUST click on the job posting you are interested in, and click Apply or Apply Online from within that posting.
- MAKE SURE the job you are applying for is named at the top of the page as you review your application!
- Review or modify your application for that position
- Click "Ready to Send App" or the "Send" tab; read page and click the attestation
- Click "Send to City of New Haven"
- You will be redirected to "CONFIRMATION OF EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION SUBMISSION"
- You will also receive an email and text, if a number was provided, confirming your submission
- If you do not receive this confirmation in the next 24 hours, your application has not been submitted - please contact us at NHJobs@newhavenct.gov
Please Note, your Profile is NOT an application for an open position. After you create your Applicant Profile, you must still click on a Job Title and complete the application as instructed for each position.