The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 15th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 897,000 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Assist the Street Superintendent with effectively managing a 5,500 plus lane mile system with 200 plus employees. The Division is responsible for the construction and repair of: street pavements, sidewalk, drainage, curb, shoulders as well as weather emergency response programs in the streets’ right-of-way. Additionally, the Division provides street restoration and construction services to other City departments, including utility companies, developers, and the North Carolina Department of Transportation.
This position reports to Streets Superintendent.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees the operational work of the division focused on service delivery to Street Maintenance business partners providing street restoration and construction services in lieu of outside contractors.
- Support the administrative work of the division including human resources, procurement, training and technology.
- Organizes contracted work of the Division to ensure cost competiveness, timely delivery and adherence to standards and specifications.
- Initiates staff planning and decisions related to equipment, facilities and technology.
- Researches and develops strategies to ensure effective delivery of services.
- Leads efforts to promote a culture of continuous improvement in service delivery, construction methods, cost reporting and productivity.
- Assigns capital, human and technological resources as needed to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Establishes targets for work groups and develops key performance indicators to aid in the evaluation of programs, staff and the Division.
- Prepares a variety of reports, presentations, and business plans
- Responds to a variety of customer concerns to ensure a high level of satisfaction with Street Maintenance programs.
- Evaluates processes and procedures to identify areas for improvement and or opportunities.
- Performs highly technical evaluation of programs and processes to identify outcomes and cost benefit measures.
- Responsible for the Division’s use of the work and asset management system to accurately schedule, track, report and manage the assets under the control of the Division.
- Perform other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of principles and practices of roadway construction and maintenance.
- Knowledge of stormwater infrastructure maintenance and construction.
- Knowledge of street cut regulations and restoration techniques.
- Ability to make independent decisions considering various public and safety objectives.
- Knowledge of roadway materials specifications and NCDOT standard specifications for roads and bridges.
- Ability to analyze complex administrative and operational problems, and make sound recommendations for resolution.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with public officials, business and community leaders and general public.
- Knowledge of contracting and competition/privatization.
- Ability to interpret, analyze, prepare and explain complex reports, data, technical specifications and recommendations.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of budget administration and equipment management.
- Ability to develop, implement, monitor and evaluate divisional maintenance and operations programs.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Office and field environment; quiet, but can get busy; can be noisy around operating equipment.
Bachelor’s degree with 7 years related experience, minimum 1 year supervisory experience
Bachelor's Degree and seven years of relevant work experience
Master's Degree with five years of relevant work experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.